C.C.C. Camps

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
yeah ,my father and gr.father both worked in mich in ccc . just can't remember where . i believe up on the shores of l.superior

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
don't know just where you are at trusty but there is an old ccc camp over by Carson City Mich I think it has been turned
into some kind of church thing now. (north of town about 3 miles)

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
hey trusty I did a little MD'ing up around the Luther area last summer also around Baldwin and north. I have a week-end place near Luther. Lee

OP
OP
trusty

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Lee,
I'm in Evart. Next time you're in the area, give me a yell. A friend has a restaurant in LeRoy, we can have coffee.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
trusty sounds like a plan I go to Leroy quite often out to that place north of town by the bar got your e-mail
and will be up there this spring for sure and we can have that coffee. Lee

Hunter-Gatherer

Greenie
May 5, 2008
Flint MI
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster II
There was a CCC camp in the East Tawas area. They built all that stuff on River Road Scenic Tour and they built the Lumberman's Monument area. I don't know where they bunked at, but they must have had a camp around the area they were working.

The Lumberman's Monument information mentions the CCC building all that stuff in the area. Check out the Springs. What a beautiful and cool site in the summer! It's a spot the Indians used as a scared spot and a supply for fresh water, year round. It's a long haul, and exhausting walk back up those stairs!

OP
OP
trusty

trusty

Dec 18, 2007
Osceola County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
camperlee said:
trusty sounds like a plan I go to Leroy quite often out to that place north of town by the bar got your e-mail
and will be up there this spring for sure and we can have that coffee. Lee

Sounds like my friend's place - Mr PIBS

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have hunted CCC camps in Newaygo, Lake, Wexford, and Manistee counties. I have a friend that owns land that is adjacent to two very large CCC camps. The foundations and sidewalks are still there. I have hunted these alot. Lots of relics, no coins. They didn't have a lot of money back then, thus the reason for the program.

My grandfather worked in a CCC camp after he returned from WWII. He was in one near Cadillac. He still talks about it a lot.
Dan

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone ever hunted in the "Roundhouse creek" area in McKinley? That is near Mio......NGE

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I have also hunted one CCC camp east of Baldwin. Tons of trash,nails and junk. It does appear there are some pretty large diameter pipes buried that seem to be copper. If that's the case they are the largest diameter copper pipes I've ever seen. And of course they are the property of JenniferG.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah but she doesn't know everything, she's blonde ;D :tongue3:........NGE

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your still looking for CCC camps Rusty try this site. expertgps.com/data/mi/camps.asp Maps and download 899 Camps in Michigan.
If you see me MDing the skate park in Evart stop and chat or shoot me a PM here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread