Other

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Re: If yer south of Lansing, it's easy digging

Oh, go ahead, rub it in! It's 10 degrees here right now. Most the schools up here were closed today because of all the new wet snow that froze hard! We are still in the middle of crap weather. Could be a solid month yet before we can detect without a jackhammer and dynamite.

I'm happy for you though. Reall I am.
Good Luck!
Mark

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!

Fistfulladirt said:
Went out this afternoon and the ground here is diggable. I unearthed a '36 merc right off the bat. Its a good time to get out, cause the turf is flat! Hope you people up north can get out soon......Good luck to all! FFD
[/quote
Fistfulladirt said:
Went out this afternoon and the ground here is diggable. I unearthed a '36 merc right off the bat. Its a good time to get out, cause the turf is flat! Hope you people up north can get out soon......Good luck to all! FFD

I beg to differ...I was encouraged by your post, Rambler :icon_scratch: so after a half day at the shop, I headed out to the old school grounds. It's still frozen! How could you lead me on like that? Oh well at least I got to practice ground balancing the new rig. I got some decent deep signals which I marked with some red golf tee's ( i brought the tee's along because i doubted diggable ground in the first place ::) ) I did get an old style pull tab, so not a total loss :P Hey, just havin' a little fun with you bud! take care...Jim

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!

showed up all quote? don't ask me how i did that! :icon_scratch:

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

radiemaker said:
showed up all quote? don't ask me how i did that! :icon_scratch:
Choose "Modify" on your post and move the "[/quote]" to where you want it. Or delete it if you do not.
Dan

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X

Ground is rock hard here on the left coast. Would love to be out today. >:(
Dan

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro

So, Fistfulladirt,
Did you really find ground outdoors that wasn't frozen? Or are you just having fun driving all of us with cabin fever and frozen tundra crazy? If it is the latter, you are very good! lol.

I really hope someone in Michigan really is swinging coil.

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

mpostma said:
So, Fistfulladirt,
Did you really find ground outdoors that wasn't frozen? Or are you just having fun driving all of us with cabin fever and frozen tundra crazy? If it is the latter, you are very good! lol.

I really hope someone in Michigan really is swinging coil.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, I'm not pullin yer leg! It was in the 60's here around Feb 13th, and there was no frost left where I was hunting! I was out yesterday and enen tho the frost was there in the morning, it was gone by the PM...even today as I type, it was 18 degrees out, by 3 pm it's 30 degrees and diggable ground.
I have to mention that I do use a Lesche dagger, not the same as using a garden trowel and makes all the difference! I think that I went thru 2 hand trowels last year, bent em all to heck, before I bought the Lesche. FFD

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used

A Lesche tool would not help you here, unless you have a sledgehammer to "help" it into the ground :wink:
Dan

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Yes it is possible. I have went out last weekend and again today. Actually last weekend was better. Found unfrozen ground in the woods. Found a few wheats and an old lighter that is in good shape. I do bring a small axe to chop through the first couple of inches if needed. Thought today would be better given all the rain we had Thursday and Friday but it had frozen up last night. Just found an old set of keys. Agree with the "flat turf" comment. All the grass is pushed down. Just need to be mindful of poison ivey roots. Gotta a wicked case of it last year at this time!

M

michigan michael

My neck of the woods completely thaws for about two or three days then refreezes for about a week. The whole process starts all over again. We have 21 degrees today and by Friday a high of 56 is expected. Cant wait! Hope you get a thaw soon Northerners!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread