The Grand Traverse Stone. Ancient Coin or receipt ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Grand Traverse Stone was plowed up about 1877 on a farm in Grand Traverse County, Michigan. A small boy following his father and plow picked it up. The stone is slate, ½-inch thick, and 2½ inches on each side. The symbols on the Stone are similar to those in the Pan-Mediterranean alphabet in use about the time of Christ

inscriptian

"(I am) carrying (in accounts), 10 talents. To 10 (add) 1 voided (or useless). I am collecting (or sending) 11 only, 10 (of which) I can confirm. Transaction (is) 11 in all (or total)."

http://www.science-frontiers.com/sf098/sf098a03.htm

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Jeff there were thousands of tablets dug up around the late 1800 in lower michigan, and many have christian depictions on them, archs of the time said all were fake, they were recovered in 18 countys, when the first farmers started plowing there fields, many had been destroid at the time

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thompy said:
Jeff there were thousands of tablets dug up around the late 1800 in lower michigan, and many have christian depictions on them, archs of the time said all were fake, they were recovered in 18 countys, when the first farmers started plowing there fields, many had been destroid at the time

Funny how they Claim everything is needed to Understand.

But they only want to Believe what they already Think
they Know.

Yea I'm sure Someone was carving all these up back then
& Spreading them around :tongue3:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Kinda makes you think of the mound builders and the original copper mining and use of copper that happened way before the indian tribes that were in Michigan when the French and English came here.

How many places in Michigan had Indian Mounds?

I have been reading about the Chert from Norwood this week. The native Americans were using Flint and Chert when Michigan was settled. So, they certainly weren't making use of copper.

All very interesting.

Good Luck,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread