Hunting State owned land -Can you?

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
I hate to beat a dead horse here. I've seen this discussed in the past. I'm still confused. I am fully aware of the laws concerning state parks. They are what they are and you can't do much about it. But what about state land, like public hunting land. People talk of detecting old logging camps in the UP and such. And what about just looking for silver and or copper too. I assume this is state or public land. I have seen posts here that say all state land is closed to detecting unless otherwise posted. I scoured the DNR website and can't find this rule anywhere.
I don't plan on detecting much of this type of land, talk about a low traffic area. But there is an area near me that I love to walk through on the two-tracks and like to deer hunt on. I mean, while going for a walk why not just bring the unit along and do some scan walking. I would also check around deer blind areas, for cool knives and such. But the last thing I want is to pay a fine, or be ticketed or arrested for finding a bunch of old bullet casings, smushed beer cans, a couple pennies.
Anyone have the real scoop?

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
while at an outdoor show I ask a DNR officer about detecting on state land open to the public and he said that you can unless it's posted you can not.
I have run into many different DNR people while detecting and they just wave and go about their business. now state parks is totally a different matter some you can and some you can't check park rules. hope this helps you Lee

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
i would say go for it the land is for recreational use funded by our tax dollars its our land i wouldnt bring any large shovels that may seem disrespectful but i doubt if any one will bother you as long as its not hunting season ive never seen a dnr officers in a random section of woods

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
i suspect that there are a lot of deer hunters on this site that find that opinion offensive---slob,s are everywhere, no matter what your hobby is

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
grzbear said:
i suspect that there are a lot of deer hunters on this site that find that opinion offensive---slob,s are everywhere, no matter what your hobby is
I agree Grzbear.

Wolverine. :-X

OP
OP
B

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Giant056,
I've seen that doc floating around here before. I'm not sure what that is or how old it is. This is the one that started the fear mongering. If thee is a law prohibiting something then it had better be posted to the public. I'm challenging anyone to find me a link to a document on the dnr website (supposedly our sole source of information on things manged by the dnr) That tells me that this detecting this type of land is not allowed. I think that link you posted referes to a particular area of the state, and it is pieced together. Once again, not state parks, im talking public hunting land.
Others, did I some how insult deer hunters by saying I'd look for a lost knife around stacked up brush?
Who called anyone a slob?

OP
OP
B

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up grzbear. Every deer hunter I know is a good steward of the forests. I certainly don't attribute trash in the woods to them. Unfortunately these public lands see a ton of illegal dumping, it makes me sick. You'll be walking along then there is a pile of shingles. A pile a trash. A pile of tires. A couch. And it is never cleaned up. One time there were two massive tubs of rotting fish offal from salmon. reeeeal nice. :P

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
I see you still have not received a good answer to your post. you can always tell them that your looking for that flashlight you lost last deer season. Yes i would also like to see in plain English what the law says.

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
i doibt that the dnr will ticket you ive searche dstate land all the time and never had a problem seriously if your respecting the land i dont think its a big deal

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have never had a problem and will continue to hunt state land until I am told otherwise. After all, I keep "losing my keys" while deer hunting every year. :wink:
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread