How have early-mid 1800s homesteads been to us in MI?

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
I recently found out that the house my great grandpa was born in is foreclosed. The house was built in 1835 and the yard is about 2-3 acres. Do these older homes produce well, or is it more junk then coins? I also know that there was obviously a outhouse, and if it hasnt been dug i would be interested in that as well. My grandma thinks the garage was built over where it stood, but it is a dirt floor. Worth checking out? I would also consider bringing along another member, since i am just getting started and this will be one of my first times out.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All places is a good places. If there was kids around if there was family reunions or if people gather there for any occasions. It is possible to produce coins.....Matt

OP
OP
Treorp55

Treorp55

Feb 6, 2011
Eaton Rapids, MI
I will get on it as soon as we get this white stuff gone. Will be using a Whites classic 3, and like i said, this will be my first solid attempt. If after first time out, i dont have much luck, may see if somebody is interested in coming out.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expect to find some Indian Head pennies and some 2 and 3 cent coins. Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Nails and buckles/harness rings from horses and wagons will be in the yard too. Possibly tokens and tools as well. I've never found silver at homesteds but you never know. Keep an eye out for possible buried caches... people back then didn't use banks.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread