List of Michigan State Parks where there are restrictions on metal detecting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many state parks are off limits in Michigan. If you will check out the maps of the parks where detecting is allowed in certain areas, you'll notice the parking lots are sometimes the only place to hunt. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365-97922--,00.html

It this upsets you as much as it does me, set your sights on Senator Mike Bishop at [email protected] Be nice but firm that this is unacceptable.

HH,
Sandman

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - good idea sandman

about 10 or 12 yrs back I was thrown out of baycity state park for detecting because I hadn't noticed that the law/s changed as I hadn't checked into it and I hadn't been to that park detecting for about 4 or 5 yrs at that time.

The guy (park ranger) almost had a heart attack when he saw me detecting the beach and came running at me yelling like he owned the damn place!

I told him - LOOK pal - I've been detecting here since the late 70s and NEVER had an azz like you in my face and I didn't know that the law/s changed so STEP OFF or you're going to like me a LOT less in about 2 seconds!

He told me to pack my detector in my truck, go back from where I came, and don't let him see me on the beach again!

Needless to say - haven't been back there since and won't spend another dime in that town as long as I live! ;D

topshelf91

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2007
I was surprised at all the parks that are closed? What gives with that?

I like the notes about all articles must be reviewed by park personal. too funny

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is worse than them giving lip service that some parks are open to detection, some areas are marked where detecting is allowed. When you look at the maps provided by the DNR website, the only areas open (marked in Red) are the parking lots. Many of these are paved............... :'(

Jolly Jim

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Fisher 1280X
Is anyone aware of restrictions regarding shallow water hunting off the shoreline of state parks and other inland lakes? I have thought of approaching various beaches in my boat and hunting the shallow water areas where people swim.

Gearhead

Greenie
Apr 4, 2007
Detector(s) used
White Matrix 6, Tiger Shark
Sandman thanks for the web site I've been looking for this for a long time, I been MD'ing from the 70's at the Bay City State Park with no problems but I know the DNR very well there. In fact if you ask them if they have lost anything when you get you permit to hunt they my send you in a good area. If you find what they lost give it back this goes along way with them and they will remember you when you go back. Works for me.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt the shore lines of all state parks in Michigan EXCEPT the ones listed on the DNR website as being off limits to all metal detecting.

As for other inland lakes it is legal. Property owners may call the police and jump up and down on the shore. I wouldn't hunt a private swim area that was roped off and still cover your holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread