Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Printer Friendly Text Version Email Page Text Size
MDOT looks for buried treasure in Hillman along banks of Thunder Bay River
Contact: Bob Felt, MDOT Office of Communications, 989-619-7963
Agency: Transportation

June 21, 2007 -- During the week of June 25, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) crews will perform an archeological dig in Hillman along the banks of the Thunder Bay River. This area will eventually be the site of a temporary bridge (including approaches) which will be constructed immediately to the west of the M-32 Business Spur. The temporary bridge is necessary to carry traffic during the construction of the new bridge being planned for the near future.

MDOT has determined that archaeological work will need to be performed on the west side of the road (on both the north and south banks) prior to construction of the temporary bridge to test for buried archaeological resources. The actual number and location of backhoe trenches required will be determined in the field, but will probably range from six to eight in all. The work will be done with MDOT archaeologists in the field, who will consult with colleagues.

To date, MDOT is not aware of any known sites within the project area. However, due to repeated flooding over thousands of years, there is always the potential to discover archaeological sites buried as much as several feet below the current ground surface. Mechanical excavation with a backhoe will allow archaeologists to dig much deeper (up to 12 to14 feet) than could be done with shovels alone. All of the trenches will be backfilled the same day they are excavated.

The historic camelback bridge on M-32 in Hillman is expected to be replaced in 2009 or 2010, once all of the technical processes are completed. The village of Hillman is located approximately 23 miles west of Alpena in Montmorency County.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9620_11057-170752--,00.html

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gypsy!

I may just take a cruise up that way and find out when they will start digging.

Dennis

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a private contractor was building a new bridge across the Muskegon River (135th Ave. between Hersey & Evart just S. of US-10) a few years ago, they uncovered an indian burial and several artifacts. Archies and Indian reps were notified and it was kept so quiet that the body (bones) were reinterred at a secret location nearby before anybody knew anything about it. I have no idea what happened to the artifacts or even what they were. I learned about it because I live close by and knew a couple of the construction workers.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread