Washtenaw County Parks

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I contacted Washtenaw county parks office after passing one on my way to a state park last week. They told me I can metal detect, I just can't take anything with me!? Anyone ever detect any of the parks around there and know how in the world they handle that? Was she in a hurry and didn't tell me I have to let them inspect finds first, or I go detect there and throw everything away on my way out?! I have no plans to detect any of those now, there is more than enough land I haven't covered in the state parks even after ten years of detecting them, and I get to keep that stuff. I just thought it was mighty strange to be told go ahead, just leave everything behind. My other hobbies: listening to music with no sound and reading books with no pages. :laughing7:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Believe it or not, it is not that unusual for a law like this. When I was stationed in Montana the BLM had the same stipulation.

"Metal detecting is a recreational activity that people do to find coins, jewelry, and precious metals. Metal detecting is allowed on BLM lands as long as no artifacts are removed. Artifacts should be left alone and reported to the appropriate Field Office. Avoid all cultural and archeological sites. The Metal Detecting enthusiast may remove some rocks (handful) from areas such as picnic areas, campground areas, and recreational sites."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread