Looking To Hunt A Ghost Town

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Just Wondering if anyone knows of a good accessible ghost town in Northern Michigan that I can hunt (even if it's hunted out). Ideally it would be near a camp site and a lake so I could camp out and try water hunting as well. Also, if anyone is looking for a hunting partner for a trip to one of these ghost towns, let me know and we can hook up. I have a book that lists many ghost towns, but I don't know if any are accessible.

Ian

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
I just made my way into the U.P. Let me say that ghost towns have a way of getting engulfed in the earth. I went searching for the town of Wyoming-- "hell town." I used GPS and all I found was one broken bridge and a bunch of thicket. Central mine wasn't much better. In Calumet I was run off a 1919 middleschool by an ornery concerned citizen claimed that he didn't want me to get in "hot water." Next time I'll call 411 and ask the local authorities if they mind if I M.D. He was just given a tourist a hard time. I hit a few other areas, but i had a hard time finding much of anything up there. After a week, I walked home with $4plus. a civil war area bullet and some float copper. I also visited a few "ghost towns" mentioned in the Michigan Ghost Town Books. As you might suspect many folks own the property of these old towns, however, as the acknowledged "giver of info" at a U.P. shop told me, "if there ain't a sign say-in no tress passin, its all good." I don't know how much creed I give his advice after the the oldtime-er in Calumet. I stopped in a place called Eagle Harbor and decided to ask the local police station if it was OK to detect the old community center--they said "OK thanks for asking." So I guess the moral of this ramble is the fact that you should have a specific are in mind to detect and most of the info ready to go, including willingness to ask permission to some old-timmer or police in a small town. I have some scars from that thicket I wandered into too. Take it from me, there are plenty of areas downstate that have potential to dig. After all, Downstate was developed first and much of the miners and loggers money up north consisted of script. I'm all about adventure, but like I said get it all lined up-- I felt like I was on recognisance the entire time. But then again, Up North is so beautiful; that is the real treasure. Hope this helps in some way- J.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Jay you should have said something , have a buddy north of Baraga, whos been doing a bit of hunting up that way, mostly around the copper mines, i think most of the houses we torn down for the lumber, Calumet -hard to believe there was somthing like 40,000 company houses, now its just a hole, should still be plenty in the ground though, lots of towns in that area. planning on spending a week up that way next month myself.

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info, Jay I kind of figured it could be a bust if I went to all the trouble to go check it out. I'm still thinking that this fall I might find one to check out. I have a GPS book with them listed so that might be a good weekend trip.

Ian

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a gentleman by the name of Roy L. Dodge, now deceased, who wrote some books which listed ghost towns in Michigan by county. They were Michigan Ghost Towns Vols I and II. Volume I covered the norther half of the lower peninsula and Volume II covered the U.P. I believe that Volume II gas been split into a Volume II and III. These books were written in the early 1970s. He also wrote a few books with interesting stories from Michigan's history during the lumber era. There is also a gentleman named Larry Wakefield who has written 3 volumes on Michigan ghost towns as well. His books are more recent and are more narrative than Roy Dodge's were. But between these two authors, there is a huge wealth of information. I have Mr Dodge's Volume I in my research library since I hunt mainly "down below".

Hope this helps.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SaginawIan said:
Just Wondering if anyone knows of a good accessible ghost town in Northern Michigan that I can hunt (even if it's hunted out). Ideally it would be near a camp site and a lake so I could camp out and try water hunting as well. Also, if anyone is looking for a hunting partner for a trip to one of these ghost towns, let me know and we can hook up. I have a book that lists many ghost towns, but I don't know if any are accessible.

Ian

Ian,

Check out old Deward on the web. Its near Frederick between Grayling and Gaylord. There are county and State campgrounds on Otsego Lake and the lakes around Lewiston should be good too. I believe the beach at Otsego Lake State park is open to detecting.

I never found much at Deward but its a neat old site and the river has good trout fishing. In probably 6-7 trips a V nickel, Barber half and a couple Barber dimes.

Tom

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tips, I have a couple of good ideas for a camping trip now! I have a buddy near Gaylord too, so that works good.

Ian

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone goes to a ghost town let me know im intrested.. Even if its just to see it. there is one by Imaly city. and now in lapeer you can go to general squire park to hunt there is a sled hill and lots of people go there come on spring

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread