boomtowns dead and gone

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
Michigan is a great place for boomtowns because of the lumber industry these towns were often company established and only lasted as long as the timber when the logs were gone so was the town they just moved to the next large lot of forest were fortunate to live in this great state at least if your a treasure hunter Ive been researching a town called Whores Corners because of of its location surrounded by lumber camps this site was a favorite among logging crews there at one time was a restaurant chapel and rooming house where prostitutes entertained the loggers it ceased to exist when due to the incapacitating effects of veneral disease the lumber camp owners drove the women away today only an open field remains

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Fats;
I've heard of Whores corners. But wasn't real clear on directions. Sounds like you say it's near White Cloud. I have done some research on ghost towns around Baldwin, there are several.

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
actually i have detected the most famous of all the lake county ghost towns called marlborough i know the man that owns the old cement factory his last name is Vida there is so much iron that its extremely difficult to keep a good read on things very overgrown also we have a cabin there and ive hit it pretty hard it was started as a company town as most were in about 1901 and only lasted 8-9 years they dredged North Lake for the marl in the bottom to make cement the portland cement factory built homes an opera house a grand hotel with a big band a school all in vain after they found a cheaper way to produce cement the town went belly up i have pictures of the old pillars with an eagle cast into the columns the old furnace rooms built of red brick this is a very dangerous place to trek alot of underground tunnels large spans of cement bridges hollow underneath down the road from the factory is where the hotel was all this land is private property but i did hunt the property where the school was it was for sale so asked the old lady if it would be alright and she said because i asked it was ok as long as i showed her what i found an 1895 barber dime is all that came outta there and alot of broken harmonica reeds

Back to whores corners its in home township section 35-36 this one is on my list but who knows when maybe this fall imagine all the great finds in a town like that lol

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've visited Marlborough. Years ago. Way before I was into detecting. I've heard It's private and dangerous.
Sounds like your cabin is near "The Forks". Been there too. Did alittle research and found that area to be pretty interesting. I won't go into too much detail but have you ever heard of any Vaudville stars that frequented that area? Nuff said Fats, you and I are gonna have to meet sometime. I'll try to dig up some of the old locations and names.

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
Dont know anything about vaudeville but if your talking about idlewild alot of stars have been there about 3 miles N.E of marlborough ive searched around the banks of idlewild lake only found some wheaties and one silver dime 1943 but definitely alot of sites in that area small motels that are now vacant with gravel parking lots theres an old park closer to the outskirts of baldwin that was once a school house then a roadsise fruit stand now there i found alot of wheaties and two buffalos no silver tho back to marlborough you talk of the forks ahh the forks a great place to prop a pole and kick back with a lantern im usually there every other weekend if yah wanna stop up were about 500 yards north of the bridge ill show you some spot how about summitville look it up 1875 atlas

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Yeah I've heard of Summitville also, don't recall details tho. One that really interests me is Forman. The Forman's seemed to be well to do and driven to succeed. Just east of Baldwin as I recall. Not sure yet when I'll be back up north yet, gonna have to check on some bowhunting spots pretty quick. I frequent the Rubycreek area.

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Getting back to Whore's Corners, Could you be talking about the town of Horr? Its located about 3 or 4 miles west of Weidman (west of Mt. Pleasant). There is still a little store there that has recently changed owners and is still open. Unfortunately this area is all private.

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
no i believe that must be differnet this town was in newaygo county in home township near oak street and 12 mile it was honestly named whores corners surround by logging camps in four corners

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
i messed up on the year of the barber dime i found at marlmorough it wasnt an 1895 it was an 1897 opps i wish it was an 1895 about that forman Muleskinner i cant find it on the 1875 atlas when was this towns circa and a brief history now you have me interested could it be south east of baldwin say walnut road?

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Fats;
If you nose around on the site I emailed you about, there is also info regarding Summitville. And the chase begins!
Muleskinner

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
oh wow ive never been to this site thanx alot im in total nirvana now muley
lol

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you fellers are talking about up my way!!!

If you're talking of Whore's Corners being around 12-Mile then you're gettin close to the north end of Newaygo Co. I think 14-mile's the Newaygo-Lake county line. My uncle lives up there in Lilley. I've also been to check out Marlborough but didn't spend too much time there and didn't detect. I figured it was private property. I've read that when the town went bust that the houses that were in the residential section were moved to Baldwin. I've never detected in Baldwin and would like to try out Idlewild but nowhere near the lake. There were tons of lots around there where cabins were built that are all pines now. I need to do some more research first though.

When I get back from Iraq we ought try getting together for a hunt sometime.

HH,
SgtSki

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
hey fats, we wouldn't mind cheking out a boomtown site. don't want to horn in on your project. talking some of us getting with sgt.ski in late spring maybe some thing like this? hhhholidays

sadsack

Dec 1, 2008
Benton Harbor,MI
Hi,
Metal det. Michigan from 1959. lake county is a great place to fine stuff. Many ghost towns or all most ghost towns. I am getting ready for another summer of det.
looking for a partner. Been through 3 of them, they all dies on me.

richo328

Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were are you located always looking for someone to go with...

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of spots/communities that were never rebuilt after the fire in the thumb during the early 1900's. My Great Grandma told me that the fires got so bad that she, her siblings, and parents had to wade into Lake Huron to escape the heat and flames.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread