JERKS WHO RUIN

GTI2500

Greenie
Aug 31, 2007
Oscoda Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minlab X70
Hi
I was up in Oscoda last week detecting. I went to a park close to town and some *^$%^$ moron left about 50 holes none of which was filled in.
I mean how much time or effort does it take to fill a hole?
I think that explains a nasty look I got while detecting in an in town park.
Don't they understand they are the reasons it's so hard finding places open to us.

mad as (&*^%*^%$

Larry b

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
some people dont have the common sense they were born with, and you are right.......thats the kind of stuff that gets detecting outlawed.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They should have a bounty on these clowns. Sometimes it is a newbie that bought his detector from a big box store and nobody told him how to retrieve a target like how a dealer would. Some are just brain dead and don't care an only want to dig up as much as they can. That's what a detector is for, finding money, right they think.

Sometimes approaching them and showing them the correct way helps, but I've been cussed out by doing this too. It's better to just turn them in to the authorities, get their license plate number, or just hit em' in the head with your Lesche tool and take their goodies after you bust up their detector.

I am now in a bad mood.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
these are usually the people who are in it because they think they will make a bunch of money and dont care how what they do affects anyone but them...
Happened to me when i 1st started.In a state park at the beach area someone had dug large holes and left the trash in them.Fortuneately a ranger came by before we started hunting and we reported it to him..did not want him thinking we had done it.....

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Reminds me of the neighbor's cat: wanders around digging several holes before he decides which one to crap in.

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Around here I've found that squirrels are digging in the wood chips and planting their acorns. I've been filling their holes for quite a while and they keep digging them.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've run into the leaving of these morons too and it irritates me to no end. Luckily there's just a couple of us that detect in my hometown regularly and we're known by the police and city manager. They've seen us detecting close-up and know we DO NOT leave messes behind. I've ran across open digs up in Ludington. Luckily it was early in the morning before a lot of people were up and about so I did about all that I could do...fill up the holes and replace the plugs (if any). It took about an hour of cleaning up after the moron(s) before I could detect, myself.

My good deed was rewarded though. That day I pulled a 1901-O Barber and 2 1894 IH's. The Barber and one of the IH's were gotten out of the same holes that I filled in. They musta been digging clad or were giving up too easily. The Barber was actually in their plug. (????)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
SgtSki in MI said:
My good deed was rewarded though. That day I pulled a 1901-O Barber and 2 1894 IH's. The Barber and one of the IH's were gotten out of the same holes that I filled in. They musta been digging clad or were giving up too easily. The Barber was actually in their plug. (????)

sounds like maybe it was a newbie who just got a new machine from wally world but didn't really understand how to use it. common sense would tell you to fill your holes but unfortunately common sense isn't all that common.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
hollowpointred said:
SgtSki in MI said:

sounds like maybe it was a newbie who just got a new machine from wally world but didn't really understand how to use it. common sense would tell you to fill your holes but unfortunately common sense isn't all that common.

Why does he hafta be a BH guy? LOL... Maybe he got a whites off e-bay with no directions?

Sincerely, Montana Jim, Defender of Bounty Hunters

Hahahaha...

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Many just don't care, it's all about them, they are lechers and thieves. These are the ones who will rip up churchyards, cemetaries, no respect for anyones property.

The best thing you can do is fill in their mess as best as you can, if anyone is around, explain to them that the shit stain who did that is NOT a representation of the entire metal detecting community, that most of us do care, (which you are actually proving by fixing this guys mess), apologize for the mess HE left, and go about your business.

If you happen to see an individual do this, as said before, they might not know, approach them and be polite and point out to them, hey, its kind of a code of conduct that you fill your holes, explain to them why. If they get snotty, tell you to F off, then follow them to their vehicle to get a plate # grab your phone dial the cops and report them for vandalism. When the cops do show up, make sure you explain to the cop that YOU detect there too and it is NOT you or YOUR group that is doing this, and YOU are not going to stand by and allow someone elses irresponsibility get park shut down on you.... which is why you are reporting the dirt bag.

Every so often I will grab a trash bag and walk the beach for half an hour or so picking up trash, what I do is, when I enter the park, Ill ask the ranger if it is ok for me to do that, of course they are going to say, sure, and probably ask you why, you then say, well I was metal detecting out here earlier and seen a lot of trash around, this looks bad on all of us so i want to take a little time to clean up the place a bit, kind of like a 'thank you' for allowing me to detect here. This is my community too and I need to do my share to help keeping it clean and safe. Doing something like this will earn a lot of street cred with the park folks as to letting you do your activities. To be honest, when the tides too high, or im not in the mood to really detect (yes it happens sometimes) or just scouting out the area for a planned MD trip later in the week, this is great exercise too, which we all can use.

Aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread