Im getting there

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
I'm getting there

well after years of procrastination I finally got my hands on some equipment,
I ended up with a whites xlt, and have started studying the manual that comes with it, I have also had some contact with a few local tneter's and am in the process of trying to hook up with someone to do some hunting, i figure the best way to learn is to just get out there and start going at it, but at the same time going with someone with experience sounds like a better plan to me just to pick up and learn some of the do's and don'ts and maybe a bit of technique. Im sure its goinf to take me a bit to figure out how all this equipment works and its capabilities but I am ready to get outside and it actually sounds quite relaxing to me to just walk around for a few hours here and there trying to find stuff. To me this whole thing is about the adventure more than the idea of finding anything of great value so if anyone close to me gets bored, send me an email i have a bunch of site loaclly that i think may be promising we can get to
Dan / clarkston mi

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Re: I'm getting there

well congratulations on the XLT, a little learning curve there, play with the presets and basic adjustments, till you get use to it, hope you find a hunting partner

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT

well i finally got out and did some screwing around with this thing, went to a beach that some of the local guys cover pretty good, was there about 2 hours, i managed to dig up
one quarter 2002 lol, about 6 pull can lids look like the ones from the 70's with the bend as you peel em type thing, now i see why everyone talks about the pull tabs, and my biggest treasure to date 1 really old spark plug that i dug almost a foot for, but was kind of impressed that it showed up, i know its really old cuz it has an actual hex nut on it like the old type you used to screw the wire onto. So much for the beginners luck, but hey i did find some stuff

DTM

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

Gotta start somewhere. Looks like you started with a darn good machine. I dinked around with 2 lesser machines before I got up to speed.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Great machine to start out with Dan. Keep at it. It'll take 100 to 200 hours of swinging to get the feel of it and become proficient. In the meantime, you will undoubtably find you share of good treasure. Swing slow and low and experiment with your settings. Try places you know have lots of good targets, like the nice schools you have there. Good luck, maybe see you around some day.

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT

hehe well im sure a few hundred hours will help, i dug up about 30 foil gum wrappers yesterday and a few pull tabs, it is what my screen said it was but i guess i just dont always trust the machine yet and dont have enought experience listening to the tones yet
but hey i seem to be getting a good workout doing all that diggin, i plan on getting a igger coil for more depth to do some serious cache hunting i have some real promising sites but im not even going to venture into that yet, Due to lack of experience I would hate to waste my invitation onto a property and miss something. Ill wair unitl until i have some hours on here and know this machine inside and out

dan

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

that 9.5 coil is large enough, i would invest in a 5.3 inch before going larger, for trashy sites, they still get pretty decient depth, i liked the DD shooter coil but it only gets about 4 inchs.

OP
OP
xdanthemanx

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT

I allready have the smaller coil, hevent used it yet as ive only been out on the beach which is pretty clean, and im thinking a few of the guys here , sandman and gearhead are pretty thourough in thier hunting, they didnt leave me shit lol
dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread