A local book on Gold mining in Upper Michigan

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I've been doing some research on the Ropes Gold mine and found a site from the author of the book, Michigan Gold: Mining in the Upper Peninsula, by Daniel R. Fountain. It also contains mines around the Dead River Basin and other area's. It is available on Amazon.com for $12.95 plus shipping. I'll be getting a copy of it in a couple weeks and thought you might be interested in it.

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
My cousin pans for gold up north he has an electric sleuge or something like that hes finds mostly dust but i have seen a small nugget about the size of a half piece of rice so if you are persistant i imagine you might get rich

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
author man the book is pretty informative, the writer gave my dad an autogrhphed copy, my dad worked with him at the empire mine. ive found a couple of the mines on the north side of the dead, pretty tough country for hiking. some old logging roads, and a few roads from when they were test drilling back in the 80's but many trees down, would be tough on a 4 wheeler. i have to get another copy myself. i talked to him last year to get an autographed copy he lives on snobird rd in negaunee near the state police post

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup thats a good book i have a copy myself and there is always a copy at a local library.

OP
OP
Author Man

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
You bring up a goood point grzbear. I do know they have the mine fenced in and there is no tresspassing. I am interested in finding some trout streams in the area and bring along the metal detector to do a bit of searching for gold. Now if I could just hook up my ugly stick to the end of the detector I'd be in heaven. Better yet, to catch a trout with a gold nugget in its belly. Any chance to get out into the woods, fish, detecting and swapping mosquito's is a great day. As I say this, the wind is blowing like a hurricane and the snow is knee deep and the temp buried at -10. Ah, life is good for sure.......

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
the book is a good read--think i went through it twice--got to hit the yellow dog this summer ,but as i type this i can,t see the boat in the backyard--one of the nastiest days i can remember

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhhhhhhhh ya gott love the U.P. >:( Author Man,it's no better over this way. with the wind chill right now it's -39 BELOW......................... UGHHHHHHHHHHH come on spring!!!!

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried it BUT i have the gps coordinates to a spot where you can,in the spring,pan gold off of the beach. The gold runs down from some glacial moraines. the fellow i got it from says you can get it also during the summer but its deeper by then. This is just flour gold remind you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions