Coins I buried a long time ago

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I'll be offline for most of March as I head down to Ann Arbor area for my checkup at the VA. I've been in remission from Leukemia for two years now and can't wait to get my Tesor Silver Umax in two weeks and get started detecting and visit my parents. I was a paper boy in Detroit and when I first started collecting coins. I buried 3-4 rolls of uncirculated pennies in the backyard of the house I grew up in and in a couple weeks I will test drive the Tesoro to a spot next to the only tree. Can't remember how I buried them or even the year but I suspect the year was 60-61. I may have even buried other coins....

The house is vacant now but my brother has been there and remembers where I buried them. I'm excited and will let you know what I found when I get back. It's all in the chase, eh???? Gene

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
best of luck to you at the va author man --i use them up here also-but thats another subject ,that belongs in the rants@raves dept. --i,m heading down to the holland area in april--grandmother told stories about a model T buired by sand in back of the farm--think thats a big enough target?

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grzbear said:
best of luck to you at the va author man --i use them up here also-but thats another subject ,that belongs in the rants@raves dept. --i,m heading down to the holland area in april--grandmother told stories about a model T buired by sand in back of the farm--think thats a big enough target?
Yeehaw!! I just can't wait until I have to use the VA either! But hang in there Authorman!!! Good luck on finding your pennies too!

But anyway, speaking of things buried here's something you might find interesting. The area in Michigan I live in (Oceana & Newaygo) Counties) was a big logging area way back when. Near me I know where a narrow-gauge raliroad bed is that they used to haul logs to the sawmills on White Lake. I pass by it every day to & from work. There's been an Urban Legend (or Rural Legend, rather) about a logging lococmotive that was supposedly buried along this grade. Judging from the pictures I've seen of that railroad when it was operational, If there really IS a loco buried, it's probably a Lima-Built Shay Loco. I've heard this tale from numerous sources since I was about 12 (I'm 42 now). I guess that they made their money so it was cheaper to bury and abandon it than to mess with it further. The story goes that they dug a hole, ran rails into it, drove the loco in, and filled in the hole. I also know where a BIG stack of rails are that were just left behind on a different grade.

One of these days, I'm gonna get a two-box and see if there was ever any substance to this thing.

HH,
SgtSki

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
-interesting info sgt ski -i do know there,s a locomotive at the bottum of halfmoon lake south of grant. found that on the boats dephfinder- ever md around the taylor bridge store? the launch and campground gota be prime pickins

Shoe

Nov 18, 2007
Addison Township, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey, does it still count as treasure hunting if you buried the treasure yourself? :)

I'm by Lake Orion, work in Warren. Bought my first MD (Ace 250) just before the ground froze, too wimpy to try it out until I no longer need a backhoe to dig the holes. Only holes I'm making right now are in the ice on the lake. Let me know if you need another hand searching your old yard in Detroit, or standing armed sentry depending where it is.

OP
OP
Author Man

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Sure it counts Shoe. Thanks for your offer. It's buried on Ferguson between 6 and 7 mile. Won't say which house, eh? I wonder if I'll need a jackhammer to get my cache. I'll PM you for details and wouldn't mind the help. It will be the first time I try my new Tesoro. 9 more days and it's bye to the UP.......

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grzbear said:
-interesting info sgt ski -i do know there,s a locomotive at the bottum of halfmoon lake south of grant. found that on the boats dephfinder- ever md around the taylor bridge store? the launch and campground gota be prime pickins
Nope I've never hunted around the store at Taylor Bridge. At the next intersection west of Taylor Bridge (Garfield Rd & 192nd Ave....I live off of 192nd about 5 miles north of there) is a large field that belongs to a buddy of mine from work. An old homestead (his ancestors) was in the corner of that field from 1862 until about 1884. I have that whole field to myself and so far in there I've found 2 Large Cents (1846 & 1851), an EF-40 1866 Indian Head, and an 1866 Shield Nickel. I've only scratched the surface of it but that whole field's been farmed since the 1860's and still is today. Just upstream from Taylor Bridge on the high ground was a small Pottowatami settlement. They used to borrow the rifles to hunt with from the farmstead. Both of the LC's were holed and I think thay belonged to them. I've dug LOTS of .44-40 Henry rimfire casings in that corner too!

I heard about the locomotive in Half Moon lake but I never heard of anyone looking for it. Right now I'm researching a possible robber's cache in another part of Newaygo Co.

HH,
SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread