mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
here in MO we have been seeing them for yrs, but the state always replied, "no, there are no cougars here" 2 colts were killed on my neighbors property, 1 severly injured & part of a calf was found up a tree. It took lots of pix of the animals before they agreed w/ us, & even now they avoid the subject. I am glad they are back, but I always carry a gun when I'm in the woods. after living in WA state for 25 yrs, I respect them,, & know they need to eat, just not me. it's good to learn about these animals. there are triggers that can make them attack. be safe, but enjoy their beauty.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
that was our dnr's responce, father in law saw one and called the dnr, told him we dont have mt lions, 2 days latter they wanted more info, i saw on jump off a 12 ft ridge and cross in front of the car east of Lance , there is a location north of lance that had a problem with one killing the neighbor hood dogs over a months time, this was all about 7-9 years ago

OP
OP
grzbear

grzbear

Oct 18, 2007
michigan - western up
Detector(s) used
harborfreight stud finder
this time they photographed tracks S/W of ontonagon --i had one cross in front of the truck just east of wakefield cougers,wolves, bears, ain,t it wonderfull?

bc

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2006
Had a cougar kill in my front yard. Everyone knows we have them here in CA, but I couldn't get anyone's interest in coming here to inspect the kill site. This is a residential area, admittedly on a hillside, but well away from their normal habitat. We've had attacks on humans nearby, e.g. Whiting Ranch where a bike rider was killed and a lady mauled; the animals have lost their fear of humans ... as have the coyotes and bobcats. Coyotes are rampant in our neighborhood, and blatantly disregard the humans as they try to make a meal out of pets. A few months ago neighbors were walking their dog and a pair of coyotes attacked, trying to snatch the dog from them.

I believe I started a thread here once (I think it was here) regarding the fact that detector sounds are a lot like those one makes with a "varmint call". Sure enough, first time I used one (on speaker) near our place in the mountains, coyotes and other predators showed up looking for the 'free meal'. No lions that time, but we definitely have both lions and bears up there in addition to the smaller stuff.

I don't like using earphones when I'm in a wilderness area, 'cuz being 'deaf' and alone in the woods is unwise. It's sort of a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Ozzys_Angel

Mar 3, 2008
Jackson, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There`s been cougar sightings as far down as Jackson County.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
BC, It never occured to me that detectors could sound like a critter. I go out in the woods with mine all the time & never gave it a thought. of course like I said I have my gun, and always look up in the trees to see if somethins eying me. thanx for the heads up.

idighistory

Feb 19, 2008
Bellaire Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/ Pioneer 202
The cougars are here. One spotted at the Sleeping Bear sand dunes outside of T.C by a park ranger. One attacked a horse in Kalkaska county and my father back in the late 70's saw one at night west of Pellston coming back from a fishing trip and he's a retired d.n.r officer.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
muleskinner said:

a big DITTO on that one Muleskinner!!!

There's been sightings in Newfield Twp and Ferry Twp, Oceana County. (I live in Newfield Twp.)

I should be home by May 1st if you want to try and do some hunt'n! (Not right away, of course. I have some, ahem, other stuff to do first and also some family time)

-SgtSki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions