Quincy Mill ...........Houghton County

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In the hayday of copper mining in the Keweenaw, copper was mined from the rocks with the use of stamp mills. The stamp mills would crush the brittle rock leaving the copper behind. The trailings (or stamp sands) left over from the mining were just dumped into the lake. As stamping technologies improved, these trailings could be further stamped to yield more copper. In 1913, the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company built the C&H Dredge number one. This was later sold to the Quincy Mining Company in 1951, and became known as the Quincy Dredge Number 2.

A few years after Quincy bought the dredge, their first dredge, Quincy Dredge Number 1 sunk in a storm. Dredge Number 2 was used until 1967. The Quincy Dredge Number 2 sits about 4/10 of a mile north of Mason on M-26 on the Keweenaw Peninsula, right across the street from the Quincy Mill. The dredge is half sunken in the water, and can be clearly viewed from the road. It is possible to enter the dredge too, but it is not recommended due to the excessive decay from sitting half sunked in the water for years. There are also legal issues, but there are not any "No Trespassing" signs to be seen in the vicinity
The quincy Mill is accross from Quincy Dredge Number 2 on M-26 in Houghton County, Michigan. Stay tuned for more details in the future.

Attachments

• Quincy Mill.jpg
    Quincy Mill.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Quincy.jpg
    Quincy.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 549

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Interesting information Gypsy, the pictures are awesome. I have to make it up there to Keweenaw, its been twenty something years. My family has some history in the Calumet area. My grandfather and his brothers worked the mines. One of them was killed by a tram car, only sixteen. Story goes there was a cave in and he tried to save his mule. Unhitched the tram and it rolled over him. I have been doing some genealogy research and found some relatives in my general area. There were 8 siblings so I am sure they are all over the place. One of the relatives I found local still has the family place in Calumet, it's just down the street from my grandfathers house. If the house is still standing that is, the great aunt that took it let it slide. Keep posting the info!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
BUMMMMMMMP!!!!! Two years ago in Livonia, Mich. I dug up a watch fob from the Quincy Copper Mill. When I find it, I'll post a pic of it.....NGE

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Yes, I have seen the Quincy mine but have not hunted it. Very cool pictures and thanks for sharing. I love that part of the state and visit there at least once a year.
Dan

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Thanls again Gypsy, it appears you have a soft spot for Michigan, too bad you migrate further away.
All the best where ever you are
Muleskinner

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
muleskinner said:
Thanls again Gypsy, it appears you have a soft spot for Michigan, too bad you migrate further away.
All the best where ever you are
Muleskinner

Well I was born in Niles and lived there until 12, have lots of relatives there so Yes...a soft spot! :icon_queen:

S

seger98

Thanks for the post Gypsy, I'll have to look that up this summer, the wife & I spend just about every weekend in the U.P. between Baraga & Silver City.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread