Looking for possible Partners in locating and recovering Cache in SE Michigan.

Mar 21, 2007
Looking for Metal Detecting associates/partners, male or female who are honest and hardworking who would like to find more than just wheat cents or a gold wedding band.Familarity of Southeastern Michigan, library research and research in general is a plus.Seems I have about %70 of the story and area firmly on solid ground just need some extra help for the rest.My job and taking care of two parents and alot of land in southwest Detroit is eating away at my personal time.Well didn,t think I wouldn,t get any help, specially the location is not located on state or federal land .Any other state I would of gotten people who are tired looking for wheat cents and gold wedding bands.Now I know why folks make fun of people from Michigan, can,t blame them for that.Thats why I personally like prospecting myself, the last time I was with somebody else , took advantage of my time at work and cleaned out the spot with his friends that I didn,t know about.But won,t have to worry about that now.With gas price like it is I,ll be staying close to home, which is a good thing since I have homes dating back to 1853 in my neighborhood.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello SW, I'd be interested in helping out. We're pretty close by, we could meet over a coffee and talk.

Nick, I'd be interested in helping with your site also.

Jon

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Re: Looking for possible Partners in locating and recovering Cache in SE Michig

Wish I could help too, but unfortunately I'm way over by Grand Rapids & I'm retired so my fixed income is buying me less and less with gas just about killing us. Good luck; hope the cache is millions for you to help take care of the parents.

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
Hey Nick and Teleprospector, any experience in cache research?How long have you been in the hobby and what are your equipments.I,m putting aside regular beach/park hunts or what I call nickel , dime and gold wedding band dig ups for real quit your job and be financially secure prospecting.What about you guys.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SW Detroit,
Yes, I do lots of research. Take a look at my post titled "picture of dowsing find part 1 and 2" in the why I believe dowsing works section of the forum.
If all I had to use was a metal detector, I would not have located these coins due to their location.
This was one of my successful recoveries last year which spanned about one year of research, on and off. So you see that it takes some time to finally make a recovery of a cache, sometimes it happens quicker and sometimes it takes longer.
My equipment consists of dowsing tools and a 2 box metal detector.
Being financially independent from treasure hunting is not impossible, it takes perseverance and a good working team of people that can combine their skills towards a common goal. I'd love to part of your team. Let me know what I can do to get the ball rolling. Chances are if you are looking in s/e MI I may know of what cache sites you are interested in. Plz feel free to email me if you'd like.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Jon

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
hey Jon, i know dowsing works ive witnessed it on several occassions with very successfull outcomes, it doenst work for everyone though, i believe dowsing is a gift that not all have as it requires access to certain brainwaves and frequencies and since everyones head is wired a bit different some dont have the skills.
If you have a few spare minutes to check out a map or two in my area it would be greatly appreciated, specifically the span of area from just south of lake orion michigan to auburn hills. Of couse if i ever recovered something I dont forget others labors and i am an honest, pretty generous no bullshit kinda guy! I'm an automation engineer by day so this hobby isnt really about finding fortunes for me, i do really enjoy the research and field hunting

DanTheMan

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dan,
It's nice to see that you are honest.
The xlt is a nice detector, lite weight is nice and I've always liked the printing on the control box showing the ferrous to non ferrous span.
I owned a classic 1 long ago and had made many nice finds with it.
I'm going to send you a personal email regarding your request so that I don't veer off topic.
Jon

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
OK Jon, well that other guy under you named Dan wanted to help but!!! right now I,m waiting for something coming from Buffalo, yes there are a few that I,ve seen in SE Michigan plus one that isn,t in any Treasure catalog or book but told only directly to me by a Lady about what her Grandfather did and buried during the 20,s, thats West of Jackson.Ya Dowsing!!! I,ve had the equipment and experience with Thomases and Fitzgeralds, matterfact still have that one from Fitz,s!Theres also,probably alot of mini Caches here in SW Detroit, bunch of Mexicans live here now where ,French,Germans and later Poles,Ukranians and Hungarians use to live in my neighborhood.Theres alot of open spaces , old homes from the 1860,s to 1900 have been set on fire and burned downed, specially around the Fort Wayne area.Have located the site of the famous Fort Wayne General store.I,ve never had a high opinion with dowsers.Theres probably alot of coins near Fort Wayne but the soil condition have made the coins sink WAY over a feet, more like 3 feet.If you have the time next Saturday, 21st you can come down here and see what your dowser can find, but in the meantime I have to wait for that paper work from Buffalo, than I might go to Lansing and pick me up a survey map of Tecumseh and the river, the oldest one they got.Don,t know exactly where you live?Talk to you later Jon

Sincerely Richard.
[email protected]
313-378-6780

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Richard,
Thank you for your contact information.
I'll send you a personal email.
Well depending on the scope of a project it's always nice to have all the help you can get, now wether all the people can get together at one time is another story. There are lots and lots of metal detecting sites in the city of Detroit.
I'm sorry you feel that way about dowsers, but the fitzgerald/thomas equipment that you use is actually electronically enhanced dowsing equipment :) Why do I feel this way? Well, you are awaiting a movement from the rod/rods in your hands, correct?
If you would like to talk more about dowsing equipment let's do that by email or over in the dowsing section here in the forum.
I've always felt that people with different skills on a team make for the best kind of treasure hunting team by doing our best at what we do, succeeding all together.
There is a website called rootsweb.com that has a map of Tecumseh/clinton twp from around 1893.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~keller/lenawee/work/clinton93.html
Hope this helps saving a trip to Lansing.
Jon

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
1893 ,1874 I have those, it goes way back to about ,before the Mexican American War, thats when THEY were found, at least two!Trying to get as close as possible to the site, the town and its police/local government are probably not to enthusiastic about metal detecting in there home town, my sister who lives there told me there are alot of signs on many of there parks { they are basically modern parks but than again }.So far I have the side its on and the height { pretty steep embankment }.Before going in with our equipment I need to eyeball the area first, don,t want to spend the entire day walking along for many yards and later finding out its a mile or two away.Right now I,m following the cookie crumb trail until I come either to a dead end or jack pot,advise given to me from someone at Garretts and another who has written some very fine books on Caches in our 50 states.Talk to you later.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another site to check out, it may or may not help you, but I found it helpful to me in the past, the year is 1819 on this map.
www.michiganstatecenter.com/Maps_And_Views_In_Michigan
choose your county and poke at the twp you want to see. Some of the info is faint but you can zoom in pretty close.
Jon

jdhusch

Jun 30, 2008
Hello
I am new to this hobby and I just bought an ace 250 a month ago. Have been doing some research at the library . Would like to be a part of a group to research areas. I have been looking at us 12 and Irish hills stage coach route.

jdhusch

topmitch

Jul 28, 2008
Don't know if I can help with the research, but we have the state library here in Lansing that is amazing for looking up historical info. Can take a run over there if u need something.

Shell

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
Been there a few weeks back, nothing there that can help for what I,m looking for, they don,t even have maps with river embankment elevations.Right now I am looking into the microfilm of a old newspaper from Buffalo before it needs to be sent back.A major monthly magazine from New York indicated that it got its info from this paper in its Jan 1848 issue so I,m checking all of 1847.

White Nutz

Greenie
Aug 6, 2008
Ferndale Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well I have had a decent metal detector for about a year now but have had little time to get out....Last year my son had half days at school and I had to be here to meet the bus .However this year he goes full days so I am free. A little background for you. I am a 52 year old father who was diagnosed with narcolepsy and sleep apnea 4 years ago. As I was a truck driver they of course had no way to keep me on. So thats the short story. So I have been blessed with being home to raise my son each and everyday for that time until now. Only problem is that where other guys can blame childcares on why their sons ended up being deliquents if my son strays everybody will blame me...LOL!
So being homebound for the most part I ahve done my very best to keep the wife happy and my son nurtured. The time I spend on the internet is extensive and if thats a place where work can be done I have some skills there.I have also always been a searcher of hidden objects. I know how people cache things as one job I held as a very young man was working for a H.U.D. contractor in the 70's. Going into empty homes and hitting up basements was an automatic for me even as a young man of 20. When Detroit put in the overpass at the mound and davison area they bought out the homeowners. We had city people who let my Dad and a friend go into this ghostown of empty houses and take whatever before the teardowns. We found a few things there but no real caches. Mainly we wanted house parts to replace or upgrade what was failing or worn out by 6 kids at our house.We did very well in that vein. I was only a boy then but the treasure gene is well sparked in me. Why was because I did look into a small doorway from a basement that went under a front porch and found a nested set of 4 Red Ryder Wagons that were never used. As I was so young I slowly learned how to make a deal by not breaking up a set even though I wanted one for me. I did the right thing and made some serious jack for a child.I am honored to say my Dad let me keep it all. I bought my first Schwinn.
Anyhow I have time to a point and am almost where my social security will start so especially when that happens I will try to do things financially to get off of that if I can. Its just strange to have ailments I have had all along stop me now that it is being treated....??? The ailments I possess do have their daily effects but I am better now with treatment "simple meds" than I was without. I cannot find a decent job that would offset childcare in any way shape of form so a prospector is born.
Let me know your needs and believe me when I say honesty is something I have always been and I know good things come to those who are honest to the core. Does returning a womans clutch found in Hudsons on the eve of Christmas eve count? Since it had over 4 grand in hundreds and a dozen credit cards made no diff.It even had her uncashed check from her job as a North Carolina state university professor . I waited with it to give it DIRECTLY to the rightfull owner with the cash still intact.I did not want security to drop the ball. I never looked back and I would do it again.All she gave was a 5 dollar tip. Some say thats proof why I should have kept it....I say I am 52 with a faithful wife and a healthy 6 year old son and if it had gone differently??? ...Karma baby Karma!
Anyway sorry so long but I guess I used my first post here to get it all out...LOL! I am also a hunter and have a pretty decent natural ability in Michigans woods so...If that and GPS abilities helps I could be an asset on the team.And I would love to be a part of a project....Direction in my life is found in many places but this has a real nice flavor to it so far.

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
Well technically its put in as a Cache category but specifically its a Mine , abandoned, LONG FORGOTTEN INDIAN GOLD MINE, NEVER COMMERCIALLY MINED!!! and just starting to find out why from my last found article found in a New York paper .The first lead started with Terry,s Atlas, than a 25 year old article from Lost Treasure,s than articles from 3 different major papers, 2 from New York State and another from Maine, which were found on microfilm and took over a year to go thru them, scanning one day at a time, from Jan1st to Dec 31st, one of which had to have it loaned from another city to the Detroit Library but oddly wasn,t in the Detroit Free Press.Now I,m just going to pick a town close to it that might have the towns newspaper records go back to that date and also a major Ohio city.Trying to get a pinpointed area say within 500 yards, walking up and down in a 5-6 mile area with that underbrush, mosquitos and flys is alittle too much.My second clue is the height of the embankment, if I can get a topographical/engineering type map of the area that gives out elevations in feet instead of sea level elevations than it will be practically almost X marks the spot.

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a topographic map store on 12 mile just west of mound on the south side. I can't remember the name but will go by and get it. Hope this might help.

Dennis

OP
OP
S
Mar 21, 2007
Have another Post about this Dennis, I have already narrowed it down to less than half a mile, down from 50 miles.Last Saturday came to a very high bluff near the stream which was flooded, high and running pretty rapidly due to Ike passing thru, so I couldn,t walk in the stream without endangering my camera and cell phone.Its all with the eyes now Dennis and for the water level to go down for me to begin some pan checking for Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread