Tiger Stadium Teardown

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
It's really sad to see it go. This place is as full of history as it gets. 100 years worth of baseball games and millions and millions of people on a daily basis. There was even baseball played on the site prior to the stadium being built in 1912. I would love to get in there and detect the field. Can you imagine how many old coins are there? Fans were always throwing coins on the outfield grass. This place would be metal detecting heaven, but chances are you will never get close to it. They are already taking precautions to keep people out - they've erected an 8 foot fence around it.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080625/NEWS05/806250398

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/detroit/detroit.htm

thebasement

Aug 4, 2007
I was just thinking about that on my way home from work today.

Do you remember the security guard who was letting people in for $20?

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Wow! I hadn't heard about that! I hate to say it, but I would have paid $20 to get in there and walk around taking pictures and stuff. I wouldn't take anything, except maybe a little dirt from the mound. I suppose you could have even taken a metal detector in there. That's crazy - I can't believe that he was selling the turnstile for $500. Unreal. How sad that it has come to this. That place was my favorite childhood destination and I have great memories of it. To see it ripped apart and falling down makes me sick. I might take a drive by tomorrow to see what's going on.

Ian

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right I once read that the stadium was the location of a fairgrounds before baseball was played there. When I read that I was thinking "man, I'd love to detect there". Hope one of you gets a chance to do it.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was there for the first time in 86. i remebr when frank thomas hit a grandslam. wow the memorys there

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I grew up on the northwest side of Detroit in the late 50' and 60's. Six mile and Ferguson. My dad took me to many games at Briggs Stadium turned Tiger Sadium. That first glimpse of the green field as you walk out to sunlight and the seats. The guy hawking his programs, the murmer of the shuffling crowd and the smell of fresh popcorn....

Al Kaline in right field throwing darts to nail a base runner at third and ol #6 was a baseball hero in Detroit. Chanting, "Hit he ball Willie" and watching the Bird do his antics on the mound. Minnie Minoso gave me a batting practice ball, a smile and an autograph too. Harmon Killebrew hit a homer that landed in my seat in the nose bleed upper deck in left. And Sparky walking to the mound with his head down skipping over the white chaulk lines.....

Will I miss Tiger Stadium? You betcha....

Is it time to let go? I guess.....

Go Tigers......Gene the Author man....

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
I hated to see it go too. But is sure is an eyesore now, wow. But I for one do love the new ballpark. And thankfully this group of players have given us some unforgettable memories. Magg's walk off home run against the A's was great, but was made even greater when they showed that ball soaring in the cold october sky right toward the monsterous TIGERS scoreboard.
Lets hope we can continue to have a quality team there for years to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread