Chicago guy here heading up to MI this weekend!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Hey guys, I frequent the Illinois forum a lot, some of you may know me from TreasureFiend's YouTube videos. Anyway, I'm going to be up in the UP this weekend, Thursday to Monday (leaving Monday AM), and was wondering if there's anywhere on or near the Stonington Peninsula I should look out for regarding metal detecting. I brought the detector last time (I make it up there a few times a year), but didn't find anything in the woods because there wasn't much history in that area I was in. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking more toward older wooded areas or farms, but will take anything. Take care guys and HH!!

Joe

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
that's an area that I'd like to check out, i believe Fayette state park is there, No detecting, but it was a big pig iron furnace town that was a dry town, so a lot of charcoal kilns that supplied charcoal to the furnace were built along the tracks and had make shift taverns and Lady's of the night, there is a story of a worker who lost an arm that was given the OK to build a tavern outside of town that dyed and his wife could not locate his buried gold, also a nother fella had a house of ill repute that kept the women against there will and the town burnt it down and pounded him and left him for dead, but he was gone the day. I'm thinking areas to the west of the park would be good to check, to the south would also be good but i don't know if all of it is park property, the trail to the east and south follow the old RR bed, any of the kilns in that hole general area may turn up some intresting finds, the town of Fayette receive like 20,000 a month in gold from the Jackson iron mine in the Negaunee area, so the men got payed in gold, i can see them staggering back to town after hitting the make shift taverns along the tracks, another is the town of Nama i believe is a little to the west that was a lumber town
let me know how you do thompy

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Twistidd!

I will be down the road a bit this weekend. Will be at Blaney Park, where 77 goes North off US2 toward Seney.
I will be looking for the old lumber camp relics. Good luck on the Peninsula.

Thompy knows what he is talking about. There are a few treasure tales from around Fayette. I love that whole area. Seems like you go back quite a few years just stepping on the ground there. Hope you have a great weekend!
MP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread