WWII German Pin/Patches Found At Garage Sale - Real or Fake?

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008

Attachments

• IMG_0145D (Small).jpg
    IMG_0145D (Small).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,446
  • IMG_0146S (Small).jpg
    IMG_0146S (Small).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,263

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Don't know ,
I have asked a friend to look.

In adendum, (much later)
Here is his reply.

Thom, thanks for asking. You asked the right guy. I don't know if I every told you, but I am a major collector of German WW-Two and German WW-One medals, badges, pins, armbands, and so on. I have a large collections.

The metal pin and the two embroidered deaths head skulls are not SS (a German contraction for "Schutzstaffel" meaning protection or security division). The items were actually worn by soldiers in armored vehicles, including tanks, self-propelled guns, and any other vehicles within an armored unit.

If you look closely at the embroidered deaths head skulls, you can see remnants of the black wool backing. Someone apparently carefully cut the embroidered skuls away from the black wool. And that is a shame, because it really has destroyed the major part of collector value. The metal pin looks very nice, and it appears to be a "first" version of the pin.

Lee

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jordan11983 said:
I found this WWII German SS skull pin and two patches at a garage sale. I dont collect German items, so I have no idea if these are real or fake. Does anyone know? The skull pin is unmarked.
back of pin looks right ! :icon_thumright:...Looking for nazi metal badge book(hat pin pictured)for pos. I.D.,HH ALL !!!

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
It should be some markings on the back, if i not misstaking.
Yup panzer div.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the hat pins are likely to be real --the "embroidered" death heads were likely cut off a black wool tankers uniform -- 3rd waffen SS "deaths head" group

look to be some gi's war trophys *

after the word got out about what the SS guards and SS in general did at the death camps and during the war * anything marked SS -- was given little to no quarter --- SS troops when found by allied troops were "marked men" and often got no mercy -- and the 3rd waffen SS "deaths head" tank division troops were known to be very hitler loyal types as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread