ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since the "tikka" was lost - I got a russian war time 91/30 to kill "nazi pigs"

yeh since the gun I really wanted that I spotted at a nearby pawn shop -- a finnish tikka made 91/30 rifle in mint condition ---that was mixed in with a batch of russian rifles and was most likely a "finnish made , russian war capture weapon" (with 100% totally intact finnish "tikka'markings and in near new looking great shape) got sold because the govt messed up my income tax refund --( they were supposed to have it to me by the friday the 17th but they 'screwed up' ) and the pawn broker took the gun to a gun show in st augustine over the weekend of 18th / 19th and some lucky slob got the deal of a lifetime --$112 ( $100 for the gun , 7 tax and 5 call in fee)-- so I had to get a differant gun --

its a without a doubt a classic peak "wartime gun" a russian 91 /30 made in 1943 *at Izhevsk --according to its barrel makings -- it has the peak of "war time" type stock with the open slot in rear for the dog collar type sling and open slot with the steel lower liner in the front for the other "dog collar" --it has the 2000 meter marked rear sight type with a globe and post front sight

the reason i told the wife for getting it was thus -- a good freind of mine recently shot a 250 lb wild boar directly in the shoulder with a 20 gauge shotgun with a deer slug at fairly close range * --the wild boar was attempting to break in and mate with some "high dollar" show pig stock that a good freind of mine owns -- so me and my other freind were going to set up a ambush and kill him, light and gun at night since he only came around in the night -- well at 2 am he showed bang went the gun (it was a single shot break action type ) the distance was oh say 30 feet or so it knocked the pig down but then he jumped up and ran off as if he wasn't hit -- so we turned to using a trap for him well we caught him and killed him - while butchering him we found the deer slug , it was lodged in the shoulder gristle plate --so I told the wife --theres lots of pigs in the hunt club I belong to and i want to be sure when we go hog hunting here in a bit to thin out their numbers --that I "plant" them right away with 1 shot -- so i need a 91 /30 7.62 x 54 R to bust thru those tough shoulder gristle plates -- cause a wounded mean ole boar is no joke , so I let her see the "hog hunter" show on TV she said "oh thoses things are mean and dangerous " -- hee hee nothing will bust thru ta big ole pigs gristle shoulder plate better than old russian steel core milsurp ammo --we really got to thin the hogs herd a lot --they are driving the deer off our corn feeders -- I say if the guns good nuff to kill real nazis during WW2 , why its good nuff to kill pigs with as they are the "nazi's" of the animal world at our hunt club.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Re: since the "tikka" was lost - I got a russian war time 91/30 to kill "nazi pigs"

--it has the 2000 meter marked rear sight type with a globe and post front sight

2,000 meters with iron sights. Helluva rifle.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: since the "tikka" was lost - I got a russian war time 91/30 to kill "nazi pigs"

look it up , I kid you not --on a standard 91 /30 model mosin magant the rear "sliding" sight is marked from 1 to 20 -- each mark is equal a 100 meter unit -- 20 x 100 = 2000 meter no BS :thumbsup: now it might be "russian" wishful thinking to actually think you could hit a human sized target at 2000 meters with the 91 /30's iron sights -- but the markings are there if you wanted to try it during WW2--

however many of the 91 /30 's were converted (by adding a bent bolt handle and telescopic sights to the best guns availible) and were used for long range sniper work by russuian snipers --who often had huge tallys of nazi's killed -- the 7.62 x 54 R is a very strong round and if you are using a normal WW2 era - 148 grain fmj type bullet it is very similar to the 30/06 or modern .308 rifle ballistically speaking. -- long range sniping is often like using a rifle as a small caliber long range cannon -- figgering out the amount of long range bullet drop and windage effects over distance are the key --its a deadly art and science all rolled into one.

Dig-m-Deep

Jul 18, 2011

Ivan you gave me a flash back and I went looking for an old Nagant I've had for years and never shot. Looks like it has a Fajun stock and dated 1937. No sights but drilled and tapped for side mount of some kind... May have to do some work to it and make a Texas Hog Hunter out of it... Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02715.JPG
    DSC02715.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC02716.JPG
    DSC02716.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 484
  • DSC02719.JPG
    DSC02719.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 557
  • DSC02723.JPG
    DSC02723.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 631
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

your gun looks to be a 1937 pre war "tula" factory ROUND RECIVER model barrel drilled and tapped for a side mount PU scope ( its a possible WW2 era sniper rifle if the holes are "original" -- and not a bubbafied bit of work -- its been restocked with more modern wooden hunting rifle type stock --it has a bent handled bolt ) bent bolts were only used for sniper rifles during WW2 , (they had to be bent to allow them to work properly with the scope mounted -- but there are "aftermarket bolts" for folks who want to make hunters and convert "mormal" straight bolt guns -- see if theres a star mark on the bolt --thats the "tula" factory mark if its so marked --the bolt is a bent tula bolt if so --YOU MIGHT HAVE A DECOMMISSONED (SCOPE REMOVED , SCOPE MOUNTING HOLES PLUGGED EX RUSSIAN SNIPER RIFLE - PUT INTO LONG TERM STOREAGE AS A "REGULAR RIFLE" ) -- EX SNIPER RIFLES ARE OFTEN VERY VERY ACCURITE AND TEND TO DEMAND A HIGH PRICE --AND A SNIPER RIFLE BARREL WOULD HAVE MADE A GREAT HUNTING RIFLE ACTION * TO CUSTOM BUILD INTO A MODERN WOODEN HUNTING STOCK .

some but not all sniper rifles are marked with a CN from the tula factory --also look for a "scope number" -- guns and scopes were often custom matched -and the scope number etched on the gun .

Dig-m-Deep

Jul 18, 2011

Thanks for the info. The bolt is marked with a triangle with an arrow in it. The drill holes on the receiver has 3 holes alined perfect but has an out of line 4th hole that I'm guessing someone added so the could mount one of the old weaver side mounts. The bolt is flat instead of round. I have noticed that none of the serial numbers match. Rifling's are perfect... My guess is that someone took a sniper rifle and gathered up parts to make a hunting rifle out of it????

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

the arrow within a triangle on the bolt is a after 1928 Izhevsk factory mark * if its got that mark and is a "original" factory bent bolt its most likely a sniper rifle bolt however there were places that for a fee would bend straight bolt for folks that wanted bent bolts for their hunting rifles --I think that the three holes were for a "original PU type scope mount " and that the crude 4th hole was made in a attempt to use a weaver type scope mount rather than get the correct PU scope mount and remount it --from our "talk" it sounds as if your gun barrel was a ex sniper tula barrel matched up with a Izhevsk bent "sniper' type bolt during a reworking prior to being put into storage long ago -- looks like the sniper action / bolt was stripped from the original stock and was put into a modern hunting stock in a attempt to make a "highly accurite" modern hunting rifle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread