Need help with WW1 Polish Militaria Badges

cladhunter13

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I need some help with a collection of WW1 Era Polish military badges that I have. A friend of my mother-in-laws found the badges over 15 years ago in a wall in their home as they were doing renovations. The area of my town she lives in is quite old. The home she lives in used to be a farm house but the area has since been built up around her and is now a subdivision. She still has the original barn on her parcel of land (aprox. 50' x 360'). Before anyone asks...I have permission to hunt it this season.

I'm having trouble identifying most of the badges and all but a few are missing the original nut that attaches to the screw/shaft on the back. Sorry...I do not know much about Military badges so 'm not sure what to call different parts of the badge.

The owner is having a few health problems and is short on money to pay for the medicine and such she needs. She asked me if I can try and help her sell the items to help her pay for treatment. If I had the cash...I would take them as I think they are just fantastic and I would love to have them and start a collection. With that being said. I'm looking for information on how to identify the badges as well as trying to get an idea on what they might realize if put up for sale. Also...If there would be somewhere besides Ebay that would be a good avenue for such items. Any information that I could view online would be great. In information in general would be very helpful.

Here is a link to a forum that I posted pics of the badges into. Unfortunately...their seems to be very little traffic on that particular forum. Have a look and let me know if you have any information. I thank you in advance for any help.

Here is the link: Found Stash of Polish Militaria Badges and need Help to Identify Please.

The 12th Badge is my favorite of all the badges.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a link to a forum that I posted pics of the badges into. Unfortunately...their seems to be very little traffic on that particular forum

Hey cladhunter,

Welcome to Tnet. This forum is, for whatever reason, probably the least viewed one here. I know nothing of those badges. Were I you, I'd repost these in the "What is it?" or "What's it worth" forum without the link to another site. Put those photos up here ^^^.

Good luck to you and the lady.

good-luck42.jpg

OP
OP
C

cladhunter13

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much Surf. I will get it posted in the forum you mentioned. I appreciate the info.

Have a great day.

cladhunter13

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
cladhunter,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
That's a fantastic collection !! First thought: Don't split it up.
Don...
PS: You might try to find the historic connection between the house in which they were found and the family who lived there.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
#2: Legionnaires' badge internment Witkowice 1918, silver-plated brass, 47x33 mm
Don.....

Edit: Each one of these is in such great shape (focus and clarity) that all should be identifiable.
For example, the badge with the initials "MSO" (Miejskiej Straży Obywatelskiej) stands for the Municipal Civil Guard.

Civil Guards - volunteer formations referred to in the years 1918-1920 in the cities and counties of the Second Republic to perform security services, ordinal and guard, guard the lines of communication, bridges, tunnels and viaducts, the protection of transport, buildings, substation, etc
I feel like a kid in a candy store just looking at your collection ; don't know where to begin.
Don.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cladhunter13

Greenie
Feb 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Don for your remarks and interest in the badges. I love them. If I had the money to help out the owner of the badges I would purchase them and put them in a display case as they should be. My hope is to find someone who will give the badges a great home and will cherish them and at the same time be able to help out the owner with her current medical situation which is the cause of her having to let go of the badges.

The person I'm trying to help has tried to locate who the badges might have belonged to. She found out that the owner of the house has long since passed on and she was unable to find any relatives in the area. I think I will try and contact some of the polish halls in the area and maybe they can help steer me towards finding out more information on the badges.

I have no intention of breaking the lot up. I can just imagine what the original owner of the badges had to go through to acquire them in the first place. To break them up would be wrong. I wish the badges had their original screw caps. I have read that some would of had serial numbers.

If there is any information of online resources that I could use to do some research? I have tried to Google what I can but the results usually are not what I need. I find listings on ebay for some of the badges but I have no idea if the prices on the Buy it now are accurate prices or just one sellers pipe dream.

I wish I had more knowledge on this subject matter but I'm more of a coin collector and Metal Detecting hobbyist.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cladhunter, I wish I saw this earlier today when visiting my dad since he could translate better than I but I can help a little. My family came here and settled in Northern Minnesota.

For starters, from what I can see these are not all militaria. Some are misc buckles badges and pins from different places. I recognize one of the towns that we still have relatives in that area. Also try searching your area for anyone named Paszkowski. I think that is personalized, not the mfr.. Here is some info on that particular pin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kaniów

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread