Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice:icon_thumleft:.I was at a gun shop up in NH a couple of weeks ago.They had a handful of Mosin Nagants still packed in cosmoline.Decent price to 145 bucks.I do believe one has my name on it.The price for the ammo wasnt bad either 119 bucks for 1000 rounds.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice:icon_thumleft:.I was at a gun shop up in NH a couple of weeks ago.They had a handful of Mosin Nagants still packed in cosmoline.Decent price to 145 bucks.I do believe one has my name on it.The price for the ammo wasnt bad either 119 bucks for 1000 rounds.

Hey my friend - money (investment) well spent :) Do it! Even "Cheaper Than Dirt" has the 440 sardine can for $85, and those cans keep forever. Shipping would stymie that though...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I fully intend to Deep.I'm also going to pick up a very reasonably priced muzzle loader.Its a 1861 Enfield carbine-musketoon, .58 caliber 235 bucks.Video is not in english,same gun though.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good price. I was at a gun show in VA this weekend and they were going for $175.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The stash of guns on the link are cool but did anyone else notice that they all look like they were painted Black, some right over rust pits even ? Makes me question what condition they are actually in. The Russian stuff has a reputation of sometimes being poorly refinished worn out junk. Not always but sometimes. "Lipstick on a pig"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Citiboy289

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes bandit I know what you mean They do look painted Black but either way I still found it interesting

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Yes bandit I know what you mean They do look painted Black but either way I still found it interesting
Very interesting. The Russians captured a ton of German stuff at the end of WWII and still have alot of it as well as still having alot of stuff we gave them at the beginning of the war such as that Thompson SMG they showed. Sadly the days of being able to buy surplus military relics is quickly coming to an end with recent Executive Orders passed by the current President. I guess it's to prevent all those drive by shootings you hear about being done by 60 year old collectors with 100 year old bolt action rifles.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The stash of guns on the link are cool but did anyone else notice that they all look like they were painted Black, some right over rust pits even ? Makes me question what condition they are actually in. The Russian stuff has a reputation of sometimes being poorly refinished worn out junk. Not always but sometimes. "Lipstick on a pig"

I know this is post is old, but...

What your seeing is the re-arsenaled phosphate coating that Russia is "famous" for. Looks like crap, it's lack of handling durability is designed to be a quick and expedient method for on-the-rack preservation in case future service is required one day.

All of the old inventory is required to be maintained... And every few decades a sample of each crated/cosmoline covered lot is inspected and, if necessary, re-arsenaled again.

If your Russian surplus firearm has an importers mark (most do, especially if you bought it in cosmoline out if a crate) it was purchased from a governmental release contract... Meaning it has been re-arsenaled at least once post war. The late 40's saw the first large scale overhauls on Russian small arms inventory... The late 60's saw another. "Small" batch re-arsenal jobs where done case by case for training rifles, police lend/lease use, home guards, etc. Most re-arsenal jobs on Russian arms were done at the Izhevsk or Tula armories.

Re-arsenaling is the reason you happened across a "numbers matching" rifle for sale at your local gunship for $100... They were "force matched" (overstamped/scrubbed and restruck/etc... Sometimes the arsenal even just used an electropencil.)

Authentic - yes. Just not "straight from the battlefield authentic".

The real gems are "vet bring backs" (non import marked) or war captures by another country... Some of these are non import marked as well, depending on when it hit American shores.

A prime example is a Finnish stamped [SA], non-import marked Mosin Nagant...

Anyways, sorry to bring up an old thread. Just figured I'd try to share some info.

~Tejaas~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions