Possible WWII German button. "Ne coupant pas le fils" Anyone with knowledge?

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible WWII German button. "Ne coupant pas le fils" Anyone with knowledge?

Hello,

First time in the Militaria forum. Usually I can find information on American military items in multiple places online, but this one I can't find much on. I found this button in a button jar lot I bought. I assumed it was just a random metal button but I always look up old buttons with writing on them.

This one says "Ne coupant pas le fils", which I know is French for something like "will not cut the wire". The only references that I could find online were one in French that did not have much information on the use other than a German uniform button with maybe something about trains? The other was a comprehensive catalog of German WWII items. That one listed it (in Google Preview) as a button on some type of German WWII item, but I couldn't find it in the catalog. I can't find anything more than that. Thank you for any information you may have.

IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0328.jpg

Heavington

Sep 6, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a French button from the late 19th early 20th century, Ne coupant pas le fils is more likely to mean Not cutting the thread. Older buttons that were not properly finished had the tendency to cut a thread and fall off, if I remember that correctly, of course, it has been awhile since I have taken a comprehensive class on buttons, lol

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a French button from the late 19th early 20th century, Ne coupant pas le fils is more likely to mean Not cutting the thread. Older buttons that were not properly finished had the tendency to cut a thread and fall off, if I remember that correctly, of course, it has been awhile since I have taken a comprehensive class on buttons, lol
Thanks! I've only found a few online references and they both mention German uniforms. I guess they were a general button that ended up being used, not specific to German uniforms. It's always nice to learn about something new.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions