1918 Artillery Shell Casing

POSMATT04

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, guys, hoping one of you can help a newbie out!

I picked up an artillery casing at a military surplus store and I just want to know a little more about it. A lot of the identification markings are rubbed out but there is an indentation in the center indicating it has been fired. It stands about a foot tall. On the bottom of the casing on the left side of the firing pin indentation it says "AUG" and on the right side I can barely make out "1918". at 6 o'clock on the bottom I see an "H" with the number 27 below it. That's about all I can get.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading,

posmatt04

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture, and also an accurate measurement of the base, the neck, and the length? There were so many different varieties of artillery in use then that without knowing it's exact size, and shape it will be hard to give you any idea at all. Based on the partial headstamp though, I would hazard a guess that it's a German round for the 77mm field cannon.

The full headstamp should be like this, just substitute 1918 in place of 1917.....
77mm_2.jpg

Marked: FN and HL27,
AUG and 1917

St = Strengthened case (Stark),
138 = LOT number,
HL = Haniel Luege Düsseldorf (brass factory),
27 = inspection mark and
FN = Friedrich Niemeyer

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

POSMATT04

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for the quick response! What you posted looks almost exactly like what I have. See below:

Shell Casing Bottom.jpg Shell Casing.jpg

The next question is what is it worth? I bought for decor purposes, but I would like to know if I got taken ;-)

OP
OP
P

POSMATT04

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I paid $35, so I don't feel ripped off. It's a nice piece and will compliment my little collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread