FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this old newspaper article:

Often, I read letters about the problems Archer has, but I would like to say why I like living in Archer. On March 15, our town will celebrate Yulee Railroad Day. This put me in mind of some of the “firsts” and “onlys” our town can boast from our history.

* Archer had one of the first and last skirmishes of the Second Seminole War (1835-1842) happen in the area. Hickory Sink and the Battle of Kanapaha Prairie in 1835 occurred near town and soldiers from Fort Wacahoota were ambushed by Creeks in May 1842 near Blue Pete Lake. (Another Seminole Battle site, anybody hunted this?).

* David L. Yulee, Florida's first U.S. senator and railroad promoter, made his home in Archer at the Cottonwood Plantation.

* The Confederate “Treasure Train” disbanded at Yulee's plantation in May 1865, fueling rumors of buried gold.

* Laurel Hill Cemetery is said to have the remains of several Union soldiers killed in action near Otter Creek in February 1865. (So there was a skirmish fought at Otter Creek, has anybody searched this area?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread