civil war camp with well??

SundaySnoop

Oct 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking with a friend who owns multiple properties (hunting land, etc.). When he found out I like to metal detect he got excited and told me that one of his properties is behind an old courthouse and was the site of a civil war camp here in SC. He also said there is a well on the property used by the camp. This sounds odd to me as I assumed the camps would be too temporary for a well. Any thoughts? Also, any tips on how I should go about searching this land?

Thanks!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
... that one of his properties is behind an old courthouse and was the site of a civil war camp here in SC. He also said there is a well on the property used by the camp. This sounds odd to me as I assumed the camps would be too temporary for a well.

Your conclusion that the well's sole purpose was for the camp. When it was likely that the well existed long before camp. They merely located their camp near a readily available source of fresh water.

In many old towns, there existed a public well centrally located on public land. Here in St. Augustine, we have the plaza de la constitución. It is located in the center of town with a public well (well has since been sealed).

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have the chance to detect an old court house and a possible civil war campsite, by all means do so! There could be lots of trash to pick through but given the age of the court house and a camp site, it sounds like a great place for some decent finds. Obviously the well would have had foot traffic from folks fetching water so I would hit that area hard. Go slow and be meticulous. If you do run across a lot of trash it may pay to switch to a sniper coil. Either way you go, always pick up the metal trash because chances are you'll go back to that location and try it again. Nothing worse than detecting the same metal trash. Good luck! :icon_salut:

PalmettoJoel

Jan 4, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 8000
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am from sc too. If you want a hunting buddy I would be glad to go with you.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet!Old court house sounds like old money,Old S.C courthouse, maybe a rare slave tag around somewherel.Possible civil war camp too!I don't think you can go wrong by checking that place out.gl and HH.Would like to see what you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread