Can someone help me identify this

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all, I am pretty new to the detecting world. I found this bullet a few days ago and am wondering if it is a civil war bullet. I live in south Mississippi. The bullet has a sharp point on the end that I think is steel. image.jpg image.jpg

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im sure a way more informed gentleman than me is about to come along and tell you all about it.....but until then. Do you have the diameter on the bullet? Also what does the base look like, solid or hollow?

Is there a chance it isnt a bullet.....maybe a plumb bob tip? Just never seen an old bullet with a steel tip.

OP
OP
Jblack

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I do not have the diameter, the base is solid. I mean there is a chance that it could be something else but it looks like a bullet to me. But like I said I am very new to this.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you much without measurements, but to me it looks like someone used a bullet mold to cast a sinker, does it look like maybe the tip used to be a ring and maybe rusted away? My grandfather used an old 44-40 mold for that same thing and had a bunch of them in his tacklebox when I was a kid.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a metal piercing bullet probably from a 38

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell you much without measurements, but to me it looks like someone used a bullet mold to cast a sinker, does it look like maybe the tip used to be a ring and maybe rusted away? My grandfather used an old 44-40 mold for that same thing and had a bunch of them in his tacklebox when I was a kid.

Wouldn't that put the steel sticking out the other end? All the bullets that I have poured have the pour/spru end on the rear of the bullet (where you could stick the steel into it).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread