Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the artifacts from the training camp of the 28th ID, Rock of the Marne division 1917 -1918, that I dug at Camp Hancock near Augusta, GA., about 20 years ago. Can't remember what machine I was using for sure, but it may have been a Teknetics 9000-B unit I was using about that time. Several gold $2.50 coins were found, lots of IH pennies,V nickles, Buff's, old date wheats that were not very worn, and SILVER!!! Barber quarters and Mercury dimes seemed to dominate, with a few seated liberties. Tons of artifacts, bottles, enamelware, all kinds of brass stuff. I even found a gas mask, face up exposed on the ground that disintergrated as I tried to salvage it. The place had lots of rattlesnakes, and was very sandy soil. They were living in tents, so if you dropped something it would disappear in the sand. I sold most the coins and other artifacts back then and just happened on these the other day, forgotten and put back. Other guys found a helmet, and bayonet, silver flight wings for pilots assigned to the engineers. Anyways thought you might enjoy a look at some of the items as I just put them up on ebay. It was fun digging for several weekends, and I don't know what remains of that camp now.

Attachments

• 100_0960.JPG
    100_0960.JPG
    682.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_0961.JPG
    100_0961.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_0971.JPG
    100_0971.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_0966.JPG
    100_0966.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_0967.JPG
    100_0967.JPG
    508.9 KB · Views: 248

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty sweet finds. I'm surprised you're putting them up for sale. I have never sold any items I have found but I guess everybody's different in what they do with their coins & relics.

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to a smaller place and am having to make some room, so lots of my stuff acquired through the years is going up for sale. I still have the memories of some great hunts and finds.

Countrycuz

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the artifacts from the training camp of the 28th ID, Rock of the Marne division 1917 -1918, that I dug at Camp Hancock near Augusta, GA., about 20 years ago. Can't remember what machine I was using for sure, but it may have been a Teknetics 9000-B unit I was using about that time. Several gold $2.50 coins were found, lots of IH pennies,V nickles, Buff's, old date wheats that were not very worn, and SILVER!!! Barber quarters and Mercury dimes seemed to dominate, with a few seated liberties. Tons of artifacts, bottles, enamelware, all kinds of brass stuff. I even found a gas mask, face up exposed on the ground that disintergrated as I tried to salvage it. The place had lots of rattlesnakes, and was very sandy soil. They were living in tents, so if you dropped something it would disappear in the sand. I sold most the coins and other artifacts back then and just happened on these the other day, forgotten and put back. Other guys found a helmet, and bayonet, silver flight wings for pilots assigned to the engineers. Anyways thought you might enjoy a look at some of the items as I just put them up on ebay. It was fun digging for several weekends, and I don't know what remains of that camp now.

I live in Goshen Plantation but I don't know where the camp was located. Can you tell me where it was exactly?
I live over on goshen road and burning tree lane. Thanks!

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's amazing! As I was reading this my mouth dropped! I personally collect military relics so what you found are just absolutely amazing to me!

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was years ago when I detected there, and the camp covered around 2 square miles in 1918. I remember one hot spot was behind a Kroger in the woods, seems like it was Wrightsboro Rd. The Engineers were encamped there, and a couple of 2 1/2 dollar gold coins came out of this area that I know about. One of the gold coins was in with other coins in a Prince Albert tobacco tin. The guy who dug that knew he had something good when he rattled the can. There were lots of rattlesnakes in that stretch of woods too, so be careful if you attempt hunting there. We had permission from an older lady who lived on and owned the land, and we had maps from the National Archives. The dirt roads running through the woods were the same as the ones in the camp, lots of coins came out of these sandy roads. The soil is sandy here and the guys were in tents, so lots got lost. It's been hunted hard but I think just in back of the store would be good as everybody used to immediately head deep into the woods after parking. The troops did bayonet training in the Augusta waterworks and a lot was found in there when it was drained for maintenance. Also there was a hotel for people coming from PA to visit with soldiers stationed there, it was being used as a place for patients of the VA at the time I was there and we could not obtain permission to hunt there, but if you could it would be sweet I'm sure. The golf course and older VA building were also in the camp, we couldn't get on the golf course, but did pretty well at the old multi storied VA, which was vacant at that time. Some map work should reveal some pockets of the camp still worth a look. We also hunted other WWI camps, Wheeler, Gordon, Sevier, and Wadsworth. I have bookends I made from horseshoes I found in the artillery camp my grandfather was in at Camp Wadsworth near Spartanburg, SC. Cool coin digging with lots of artifacts in these WWI sites, and the newest coins are dated 1918 - Good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread