How do you know if you found a fragment of civil war artillery?

Michael12488

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro cutlass 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this at 4.5 to 5 inches deep in middle ga clay about 25 miles from a major battle area. It has a slight arduous and is about .116 thick +\~ .06. Does anyone know how to tell if it is an artillery fragment? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431800690.559351.jpg

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about Civil War fragmentation or shrapnel but from my many WWII finds, they are usually jagged and most of the time of no particular shape. If you found this near a battlefield, chances are it is shrapnel but perhaps somebody else can help you identify this better than me.

OP
OP
Michael12488

Michael12488

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro cutlass 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply Mindcrime1988

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
MIMID, ACE 350, Garret tactical pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are publications that are used to ID fragments. But most cases it requires finding where the rotating band was on the ordnance. The groves under the rotating bands is like a finger print of sorts. Every size projectile is diffrent. By counting the number of groves per inch, fragments can be identified. This is for turn of the century ordnanace. It could be a part of a canister round. The pusher plates on these were not as thick as HE frag rounds. Here is a grape shot, look at the thickness of the plates. http://www.prices4antiques.com/Munitions-Grape-Shot-Stand-Civil-War-Era-Union-12-Pound-D9982464.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread