ID help

May 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

New to the forum! And I was hoping someone could shine some light on these. I found them about 2 years ago now, but never found out what they were.

They're obviously not live! As these are just one half. My guess is that they're illumination shells/mortars of some sort, but googling them isn't proving very successful..
I found them both in the same bit of wooded area within days of each other & the wood is right next to a WW2 mock airstrip.

They measure 157mm (6.1 inch) tall & 88mm dia (3.4 inch) & I assume these date to WW2?
The AA size battery is for size scale.

The%20unknown%20wotsits%20side%20small_zpsdhugovjy.jpg

The%20unknown%20wotsits%20small_zpsxybk51mo.jpg

Many thanks!

Regards,

Simon (In the UK)

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
MIMID, ACE 350, Garret tactical pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
are the bottoms threaded as well. shape leads me to believe rocket warhead. I will look in some of my books. Where in the UK did you find them. I only ask because if they are rockets, they may be UK or US. Not sure if the Germans could get a rocket of that size across the channel. My Uncle lives in South End and I don't recall rockets of that size. Not saying they weren't used. Could be from an aircraft as well. LOL You may have found them on an old training range. I will see what i can dig up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions