Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the James shell in and out of electrolysis over the past 8 days and for the most part it has come clean. However, the build up between the fins appears to have turned into some type of metal?
I don't think electrolysis is going to budge it. I put a little burr bit in the Dremel and it just bounces off of this stuff.

What has this rust, dirt and corrosion turned into? It seriously looks like steel.

Am I just getting too impatient with electrolysis? I'm' afraid I'll dissolve the shell before this stuff gives up.

Is there some technique for removing this stuff or should I just preserve it as is?

Shell Restoration - Day 8.jpg

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you seen this:

It's part two of two and may help you out with some pointers.

Here's part one but most of it is on drilling and emptying (though the first part of electrolysis is towards the end).

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you seen this:

It's part two of two and may help you out with some pointers.

Here's part one but most of it is on drilling and emptying (though the first part of electrolysis is towards the end).

Hope that helps.

Thank you Palmetto. I watched all of those videos before I started. I used most of his techniques. It was a great source of info but this stuff in my shell is not budging.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Copy that. It may just the particular soil type has formed a serious concretion. As far as the electrolysis dissolving the shell it looks like a pretty solid piece. All that comes off during the process is the iron oxide (rust). Personally I'd throw it back in for a week at let it go. If I did math right you've only had it in for four or five days. Patience brother, patience!

Congrats on such a nice find and good luck with it!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copy that. It may just the particular soil type has formed a serious concretion. As far as the electrolysis dissolving the shell it looks like a pretty solid piece. All that comes off during the process is the iron oxide (rust). Personally I'd throw it back in for a week at let it go. If I did math right you've only had it in for four or five days. Patience brother, patience!

Congrats on such a nice find and good luck with it!

Your the second person that says it should go back in electrolysis. I can muster up some patience if we're positive the shell won't disintegrate. I'm scared!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garren, Congrat's on the James Shell. That is one sweet looking shell and a piece of Civil War History.......or an artifact from the War of Northern Aggression. Very Well Done.

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your the second person that says it should go back in electrolysis. I can muster up some patience if we're positive the shell won't disintegrate. I'm scared!

Garren, Ive had shells that took awhile to clean up to 3 weeks on slow mode. Patience is a virtue. IMHO I don't think the shell is going to fall apart on you. What setting are you using from the charger?

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garren, Ive had shells that took awhile to clean up to 3 weeks on slow mode. Patience is a virtue. IMHO I don't think the shell is going to fall apart on you. What setting are you using from the charger?

I've got one of the old manual 6 amp 12v battery chargers. I'm only putting enough baking soda in the bucket to bring the needle on the gauge up to the 1 amp mark. I guess the gauge signifies amps?

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lower amperage just takes more time and is more gentle on the piece. You said you're using baking soda? Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate and while you can use it, a more effective electrolyte solution is with washing soda (sodium carbonate). Arm & Hammer makes both and while the washing soda can be a little difficult to find, it is out there. I buy mine at Publix (dunno if they're in TX yet). You might find it at an HEB.

ucvrelics.com

Nov 3, 2014
Birmingham Al
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD
Nautilus DMC 2b 15 inch head
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've got one of the old manual 6 amp 12v battery chargers. I'm only putting enough baking soda in the bucket to bring the needle on the gauge up to the 1 amp mark. I guess the gauge signifies amps?

Your running very low, Looking at what you done already I keep going low (3 - 4 amps) and slow and maybe chip away a little of the crust very lightly in order for the catalyst to work in there. I use to use A&H baking soda but I switched to dish washing powder. Also what are you using as far the donor metal. I use a railroad tie plate and you have to keep it cleaned off after a few days so the junk as a clean place to go. JUST REMEMBER IT TOOK A 150 YEARS TO GET THAT WAY. Its not going to clean-up overnight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...I'll look for washing soda and kick up the amps 1/2 a notch or so. I started with steel donor metal but now I have switched to Inconel.

Thanks for the helps guys. I'm feeling a lot less apprehensive now!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're making some serious progress now that I
A) Quit being scared
B) Switched to washing soda
C) Kicked the amperage up a notch

Plus hours of picking and chiseling.

I can finally see through the fins!

Shell Restoration - Day 15.JPG

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looking really nice! I think everyone could understand your fears and apprehensions. No one can fault you for not wanting to damage your find. Glad you've made progress. Look forward to seeing the shell restored. Keep up the good work! HH!

:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting close to completion. I chose the tannic acid for preservation. I like the look and feel of boiled wax but I think the tannic acid conversion is more durable over time. After all of this cleaning the brass percussion cap was too shiny. Trying to get the patina back on it before the clear coat. Using vinegar vapor to re-patina. Already have some green verdigris growing.

_MG_7330.JPG _MG_7341.JPG _MG_7331.JPG

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome job! That's a piece you can be truly proud to display.:icon_thumright:

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's unbelievable! Awesome job on the cleaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions