Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Diver_Down

Thread: Looking for Central florida relic hunting sites.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Peter

Aug 2017
    Kissimmee FL
    Currently a Garrett Ace300
    115 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Looking for Central florida relic hunting sites.

I've only recently started metal detecting again. My real passion is military relics from almost any conflict. I am in the Kissimmee area and the few sites in the area I have found are all off-limits. Anybody able to suggest a place? Not looking to for anything specific, just want a little help getting my "feet wet" again.
    I have spent a few hours online researching, but, like I said, I have only come up with places that will not allow detecting. Starting to lose hope before I ever really get started.
    Thanks.

us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    961 times
    I don't want to discourage you, but a couple hours research isn't going to cut it. I don't have any sites in the Kissimmee area to recommend, but I will relate my experience.

I live in the St. Augustine area. As you know everything is off-limits. The big sites are easy to find. Anyone can find them. But with research and lots of reading, you will stumble upon a wormhole that will lead you to what you seek. I started on one of these wormholes about a decade ago. With St. Augustine the capital of East Florida, all business occurred there. There are only so many roads that lead into town. These corridors where guarded by outposts. There are a number of well-known Forts (Fort Peyton, Fort Picolata, etc.) During the Second Seminole War, there was a highly regarded cartographer who mapped the unknown countryside. Well, he also kept a journal and as detailed as his maps were so was his journal. Reading his journal, I realized there was nothing in the area that he wrote about. I followed his directions and it led me to a forgotten site. I have spent the past 7 years digging the site. It is completely overgrown from a hundred sixty years of growth. I still haven't gotten to the water. Only can dig from Nov-Apr as the heat, bugs, and wildlife become too much. The one year I only managed to clear a 20'x20' swath. At my pace, it might take an additional 10 years to explore.
    psexton1967 likes this.

us
    Peter

Aug 2017
    Kissimmee FL
    Currently a Garrett Ace300
    115 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks. I do realize that it takes much more than just a few hours. I haven't detected for a long time, but some of my other hobbies involve research as well, so I am surely used to it. I am just getting a little impatient and was hoping to find a place to go to sooner, instead of later.
    Some of the 1812 sites I hunted when I was younger were near inaccessable, too. The one site was actually a small island that had not really been occupied since the encampment in 1814, all overgrown. There had also been a small resort style hotel there on a small section at one end of the island in the early 1900s but it was only there a few years. Took all day just to cover a very small area. Only was able to go there once. Tried to go back again and found out Canada had declared it a historic site and made it part of their parks system. It is still overgrown and not developed at all, can only reach it by boat. You can still go there, but have to plan your visit and file your plan in advance with the Border Patrol and no metal detectors allowed. It was a great spot. The one day that I was there yielded a 12 pd cannonball, over 20 musketballs, and 2 buttons from the King's Eight Regiment. My father found about a dozen musketballs, 3 plain buttons, and a breast plate. The other 2 people with us pretty much got skunked and only found a few musketballs.
    By the way, it sounds like the site you found is awesome. I hope you continue to hunt it as often as you can and get many great finds.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links