Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bronze GAR medal today detecting a turn of the century homesite.

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

Serial number on it is P18084.
IMG_3224.JPG

The P denotes the Commander-in-Chief of the GAR at the time of award. That's all I can find.

Anyone have any more info on it?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dave e, Congrat's on one very nice find of the Gar badge. It looks like it is in very good shape, I don't care if it was worn by a Billy Yank. Lol Seriously, a great find that will show well in your collection. I wonder if you could do some research using the serial number to see if you could possibly track down the recipient and owner of this badge. I'm sure he was one proud vet with many a stories to tell. Well Done.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I had never heard off that organization until you posted.

OP
OP
dave_e

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From info gathered from another forum, the serial number doesn't tie to an individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome find. Congrats!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this bronze GAR medal today detecting a turn of the century homesite.

View attachment 1492944

View attachment 1492946

Serial number on it is P18084.
View attachment 1492947

The P denotes the Commander-in-Chief of the GAR at the time of award. That's all I can find.

Anyone have any more info on it?

dave e, Congrat's on one very nice find of the Gar badge. It looks like it is in very good shape, I don't care if it was worn by a Billy Yank. Lol Seriously, a great find that will show well in your collection. I wonder if you could do some research using the serial number to see if you could possibly track down the recipient and owner of this badge. I'm sure he was one proud vet with many a stories to tell. Well Done.

Here's another angle you could try if your interested in finding out who it belonged to. Take the badge to the county local history museum. Tell them your story. They may have land records and be able to tell you the property owner from 1866 ( the beginning of GAR). That property owner or subsequent owner, may be on the list of members of GAR.

By the way, I forgot to congratulate you. Nice find and save!

For the history buffs: Memorial day originated from the Grand Army of the Republic. Here is an excerpt from their history page.

In 1868, Commander-in-Chief John A. Logan issued General Order No. 11 calling for all Departments and Posts to set aside the 30th of May as a day for remembering the sacrifices of fallen comrades, thereby beginning the celebration of Memorial Day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread