hunting bullets in streams in areas of CW battle question

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the past I have done about 2 years of gold hunting in North Georgia just SW of Dalonegha, GA. I know how to read creeks and know where gold is deposited in the creek. So my assumption is that since lead is heavy like gold I wonder if the civil war bullets that have been eroded out of the cut bank are probably located in the creek much were gold is located in creek.

but this is just an assumption and they can be quite wrong at times. Can anyone confirm this theory or debunk it and tell me where they have found CW bullets in small or large creeks?

thanks

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Can anyone confirm this theory or debunk it and tell me where they have found CW bullets in small or large creeks?

thanks

I have found bullets & other items in small creeks that have hardpan bottoms. The hardpan often has what I call potholes washed out and any heavy items moved by the water drops into these pockets and remain there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found bullets & other items in small creeks that have hardpan bottoms. The hardpan often has what I call potholes washed out and any heavy items moved by the water drops into these pockets and remain there.

Sounds about just like the Gold does , never know a Ring or a Nugget might pop out.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I found 56 three ringers in a small creek in stafford Va at a union camp . some were on the surface of the creek bed and others were up to 6'' deep in the sandy gravel . they were spread pretty evenly along the area I hunted , no pockets of bullet deposited in piles . I had a real hard time keeping my pants up with that haul.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was some great haul of bullets for sure. that would bring about a new style trend in attire. Relic Hunters Baggy Britches. Lol That for sure was lot of weight.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With regards to your question. I have found bullets in creeks but actually more coins.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds about just like the Gold does , never know a Ring or a Nugget might pop out.

Sorry
I should have said , like Gold lead is dense & it seems that it should end up in similar areas . But As you know gold and lead sound totally different , unless it's an ounce or more of Nugget or Coin . I have not dug a nugget or Coin tho ???

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I found 56 three ringers in a small creek in stafford Va at a union camp . some were on the surface of the creek bed and others were up to 6'' deep in the sandy gravel . they were spread pretty evenly along the area I hunted , no pockets of bullet deposited in piles . I had a real hard time keeping my pants up with that haul.

Also if you used the T2 keeping it dry must have been a chore as well.
Nice Haul.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With regards to your question. I have found bullets in creeks but actually more coins.

FWIW
I have never found a Civil War Bullet in a Creek , just deep 1 mm flat cans , melted Aluminum & numerous types of aluminum like screw on bottle caps , Siding pieces (small ones ) , gutter pieces , Fence ties & their Tops , Pull-Tabs (of course) Screws , Window & Screen pieces , Car crash parts .

That's what I get for hunting in an urban area , heck i'd not be surprised if there were Whole Wheels , Washer & Dryers buried at 10 or more feet in these creeks I reference , With those large targets so deep many sound small until you get a foot down & realize your Pin-pointer beeps 'LOUD ' everywhere.

One Day ill get a Minnie from a creek ...one day.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad had permission to detect a church property on the border of Chancellorsville. A creek ran through the property, and he found bullets in the side walls, and scattered on the bottom. He got a signal that just about burst his eardrums, and he found the remains of a cartridge box. Over 30 bullets were recovered. If you are thinking of hunting a creek, I say absolutely! Look for arrowheads while your at it.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved away from chancellorsville , hunted all of spotys and the union winter camps of stafford for 30 years .
back in the early days we would bring along a bucket to fill with relics.oh those were the days .

I hunted the creek that day because the dug in camp on the hillside had been hunted hard for years and the finds were few and far between. Back then I used a whites blue and grey . a great relic machine in it's day.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
our creeks are trashy also since they flow through north Atlanta. It seems that cans get washed into the sewers and down into the creeks. I cannot imagine that many people in these creeks for recreation purposes. And one creek is loaded with golf balls since it is down stream from several golf courses. I don't know if used golf balls are worth anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread