Caintuk

Jul 2, 2018
KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190623_100024.jpg 20190623_100041.jpg 20190622_213249.jpg
Found these relics at a known breastworks with cannon emplacements. They were dug on a breast work where percussion caps were found along with friction primers for artillery pieces. Is there any association with these types of cartridges? They are center fired and nothing like I have ever seen or found.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullet cases look to be 38 Cal or 357 and over pressure on one , not civil war related

OP
OP
C

Caintuk

Jul 2, 2018
KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think they are pistol shell casings. They are too long for that and the top of th casings are perforated like it folded inward the way the end of a shotgun shell does. Very curious shells. I found so many I quit digging them. They were all near the five cannon emplacements and nowhere else. I researched carbines of the times and the were all rim fire.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cased relics are absolutely Civil War. Those brass cannon primers are especially very nice. The center fire cartridges shown separately are absolutely NOT Civil War, they look like .45-70 cases used in the late 19th century. The center fires like that were not used in the CW.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool looking artifacts. That always adds a lot to the relics when you find them on or near a trenchline or at a gun emplacement. This always adds a lot to the ID of the relics as to where they were found. You did Good.

OP
OP
C

Caintuk

Jul 2, 2018
KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking artifacts. That always adds a lot to the relics when you find them on or near a trenchline or at a gun emplacement. This always adds a lot to the ID of the relics as to where they were found. You did Good.
Thanks for the input everyone. The casings are still a mystery to me. There were so many I quit digging them and they were all about the same. No info on the shell stamp.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep1, brass .410 shotshells make sense.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I shoot original civil war carbines in competition and I have never seen a center fire original configuration gun, most were rim fire or breach loading percussion weapons. I think the 45-70 or .410 makes sense. At my permission in cold harbor I find .45 ACP and .223 all the time. Cool relics you have there, great job

I also find lots of 12th Georgia buttons in cold harbor ( 12 GA ) every time I dig one, I die a little inside

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread