A day on a UK WW2 gunnery range

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Hi all

Please be gentle....this is my first post on this forum !!!

I discovered an old WW2 British gunnery range a few months back and, going by the sheer quantity of finds i get, i must presume not very many others know about it !!

Here is the result of 4 hours MDing..... (pictures shown after a whole day of cleaning !!!)

.303 rounds all dated 1944 and before. 9mm rounds with same dates. Spent bullets, bits of shrapnel and bits of grenade. Cooking pot lid found directly beneath 1944 dated 303 case. Lee-enfield clips. Armourers fuse spanner. And other stuff :) :)

relichunt1.jpg

relichunt2.jpg

relichunt3.jpg

relichunt4.jpg

relichunt5.jpg

Also found during the day were the following items that are worth looking at on their own and not on a tray !

2 inch British mortar round fin

2inchfin.jpg

British Mills Grenade firing arm

grenadestrikerarm.jpg

75mm Solid AP round (well....half of it)

solid75mm2.jpg

And this.....now don't worry. I was on the verge of ringing the bomb squad when i saw sand falling from inside the casing. After some very VERY careful probing, i discovered the shell case was completely hollow !!! I believe it is a 75mm calibre round. Possibly a practice or smoke round ?

75mmupright.jpg

75mminside.jpg

Not bad for a few hours work !!!

Crazy Greek

Nov 12, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident
Now those are some great finds! WTG and hope to see more post from you. Looks like you've found a really good site that outta keep you busy for quite awhile!

Thanks for sharing!!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and I think I would have had to clean my shorts when I hit that one shell..lol Looks like a lot of history there. :thumbsup:

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys scare me digging up live rounds, it's one thing here to dig up a Civil war shell that in most cases used powder to set it off but some of those bombs are inertia contacts.

OP
OP
W

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
Reidman - I can assure you there is no-one more careful than me when i am relic hunting. A lot of people of killed throughout the world every year by unexploded ordnance. Apart from the 75mm shell fuse (which has been oil soaked now) there is nothing of any danger in what i found. Even if i did find a live 303 cartridge, and even if its been in the ground for 65years or so, the only way it's going to go off is if i strike the centre of the blast cap nice and hard with a nail or something. This is not going to happen accidentally ! I do sometimes find live ordnance of a larger calibre but the area is marked, the GPS location documented (I take my Tom Tom with me !!!), and the authorities informed.

When relic hunting for WW2 items, you dig slowly and carefully. The chances of harm are as high as being run down on the roads you cross to get to the site !

Hooked on WW2 i am, stupid i am NOT. :) :) :) :)

ww2digger

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I have dug tracer rifle rounds that ignite if they scratch a rock on the way to the surface. I was always able to let go of them before I got burned but several club members in Germany were not paying attention and got severe burns. This was in the augsburg area from 1974 to 1977. Perhaps they have now deteriorated enough to be safe. regards, siegfried schlagrule

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the brass alone cashed in at the "mongers" in a 6 months or less will get you a new detector :thumbsup:

OP
OP
W

ww2digger

Aug 27, 2008
yeah fmrUSMC_0844 i have identified it now :)

Almost certainly a 25pdr illumination round and not 75mm.

Odd thing though, the Bye-laws for this gunnery range limit the calibre of weapons to be used to small arms and 2/3 inch mortars. They shouldn't have been firing them things there !!!!

Honestly.....anybody would think that there was a WAR on when they used the area !

ww2digger

Papamoa99

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Know this ite well.

I know this site well just from the items you have pictured. I have been here many times in the last 20 years and found many exciting and dangerous things.

I have many examples of your finds and have also found many live items.
the army periodically clear the site, as training in bomb disposal, so finds are getting harder to come by.

Of the many finds I have encountered there have also been dangerous items: An unexploded 3" H.E. Mortar shell, an ammo box of six unused Parachute Illumination 2-Inch Mortar Bomb, a firing cap for a mills grenade and live 303 rounds.

There have also been personal items such as a spoon and a farthing

The finds are getting fewer and fewer each year, but still a great day out with many interesting items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread