Which small coil for the Minelab Safari?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been doing a lot of research and reading forums and reviews as to which small search coil would be best to use on my Minelab Safari. After all this I am no closer to reaching a decision. There are so many choices out there. I believe that I have decided at least on a 5' solid search coil. The 3 that I am looking at are the Sun Ray 5' Stealth coil, the Cors 5' coil, and the Nel 5' coil. Does anyone have any input or comments on one of these coils, or perhaps all 3? Any help concerning this would be most appreciated.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't stand going that small but I use an 8" SunRay on my Safari, almost never take it off. Very good coil, have found dimes and reales at 10" with it. Those hockey puck coils may have a place in one's arsenal but they don't go really deep.

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't stand going that small but I use an 8" SunRay on my Safari, almost never take it off. Very good coil, have found dimes and reales at 10" with it. Those hockey puck coils may have a place in one's arsenal but they don't go really deep.
gunsil, how does the 8' Sunray coil do as far as shooting around trashy areas? Thanks for your comment.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller the coil the better separation in trash, so it is definitely better than the stock 11" coil in trashy areas. Not quite as much depth as the 11" but still pretty deep. I have the Minelab 8" coil also, I think the SunRay is a little hotter. The hockey pucks (5-6") will still give more separation naturally but they are so slow at covering ground and lack some depth, I think the 8" is a good compromise. I'd part with the 8" Minelab coil, you can PM me if interested. I also have a spare 15" Coiltec WOT coil for non trashy field hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread