Explorer coil repair ?

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Ive got some trouble with my 8" coil for my explorer. I bought the unit about 2 and half years ago and have never had a problem. I noticed a few months after I bought it that there was some very light cracking on the bottom of my 8 inch coil,it was the first time I had taken the coil cover off. It worked fine none the less with constant use for over 2 years. Then one day a couple of months ago it started constantly signaling whenever I move it. The unit works fine with the stock coil so I know its the coil also sometimes I can hold the wire where it enters the coil and it will keep a steady threshold for a bit. Ive never had to deal with ML service and Im wondering if I should send to them? would I have a good chance they could fix it or should I just look for a new one? I dont think the problem is caused by the cracking rather the wire is loose inside the coil. Also I never sent in the warranty info card so Im not really sure how to proceed with the ML people,thanks alot for any help...Shoot

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
You will probably be better off buying a new one,usually the coil wires cannot be repaired and replaced. Look into buying a Coiltek Platypus coil. They are much better coil than the standard coil giving much clearer signals and depth and a better shape. Six of my friends and myself have Explorers and we have bought these coils and have never regretted buying them. good luck seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions