X-terra 50 users, would you reccomend a DD coil over the stock concentretic?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow detectorist, I have an xterra 50 on the way and have been looking at some of the other available coils for them. Which do you guys like...the dd or the stock configuration? Will I get better depth with a dd or is this machine hot enough with the stock configuration? I am a coin shooter for the most part but also look for civil war relics too sometimes. Also about the 18hz coil, does it do well for coin shooting also or should I just stick with the 7hz for coin shooting. I will not be doing any gold prospecting anytime soon nor do I have plans to go to the beach and look either since I live in Middle TN.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The standard concentric coil is not as good on the machine as the bigger 10 inch DD. The DD coil will cover more ground at depth and handle mineralisation better. You will find more deeper targets because of the search pattern put out by the DD coil. The standard concentric coil puts out a signal which is a V shape. Meaning at the deepest point the coil is only covering a very small amount of ground. Where as the DD coil sends down a signal which is vitually straight down sweeping a bigger area at depth. As to which one goes deeper it is purely dependant on soil conditions. I n mild soil the concentric might go slightly deeper but it covers next to no ground at all at its deepest point. But in mineralised soil the DD will go deeper and run quieter than the Concentric which will give a lot of noise and false signals. For my money I would just use the DD coil at all times forget the concentric coil. good hunting seeya Neilo :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: X-terra 50 users, would you reccomend a DD coil over the stock concentric?

Neil is right as always. See the pics for explanation.

Good post Neilo. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DD Coil Field.gif
    DD Coil Field.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 246
  • mono.gif
    mono.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 245

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions