minelab GT i have a question

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
Hi , I have been in here for two years now and thought i should become a member. I have been detecting for some time now with a Garrett freedom detector. Now i went and got a used minelab Sovereign GT that is less than a year old and there is something i do not understand about it ? When i am in Disc mode Iron Mask on it will null out or blank out nailes & iron. As it should ,,, Now when i am in Disc. mode iron mask off it still blanks out or nulls out iron & nails that does not seem right to me . I run it in the Quick Operating Instructions in the Disc mode and sit it up as the instructions tells me . So does that mean the iron mask off is not working right?? Thank you for any information you can give me. kando

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
The Sov will still null on iron with iron mask on, but will also respond to a non ferrous item that is near it. Take some time to learn it, go slow and dig any repeatable signal in disc. It is very sensitive to small stuff, so much so I bought a probe to cut down on recovery times. Tiny bits of brass and aluminum were hard to see in the pile. Not a complaint by any means. It will go as deep as you care to dig, good choice.

OP
OP
kando

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
mnlineman said:
The Sov will still null on iron with iron mask on, but will also respond to a non ferrous item that is near it. Take some time to learn it, go slow and dig any repeatable signal in disc. It is very sensitive to small stuff, so much so I bought a probe to cut down on recovery times. Tiny bits of brass and aluminum were hard to see in the pile. Not a complaint by any means. It will go as deep as you care to dig, good choice.
Yes i know that it nulls out with iron mask on in disc,,,,,,,,,but with iron mask off it still nulls out in disc i thought that with iron mask off it would not null out

OP
OP
kando

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
What i am saying is that when in disc iron mask off it still nulls out iron & nails should it do that with iron mask off in disc ??

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
kando said:
What i am saying is that when in disc iron mask off it still nulls out iron & nails should it do that with iron mask off in disc ??

Yes it will null on iron in disc mode period. It has a better chance of "seeing" a non ferrous target near an iron item with iron mask on.

OP
OP
kando

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
mnlineman , Thanks for the reply i thought that in disc iron mask off it would sound off on iron so there is no diffrence if you have iron mask on or off in disc. ??? ??? so my sovereign does not have to go in for repairs ??? ??? kando

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
nope it is working just fine! just like my 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kondo, both of my two GT's respond the same way also.........Iron mask on or off, it will still null on iron......With it off it is more blippy, but it still nulls on small iron pieces.

OP
OP
kando

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
Thank all of you for the information i thought that it might have something wrong with it. Now i know that it is working fine, Thanks again . HH kando

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you know you won't have to send it in for any repairs. Having a place where you can ask questions like this is invaluable. :wink:

OP
OP
kando

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Now you know you won't have to send it in for any repairs. Having a place where you can ask questions like this is invaluable. :wink:
That is true sandman but now i have to find out about all metal i am going to post the question!!!!!------------- in all metal the only sound i get no matter what i go over is like a long groan if i go over a nail , iron or coin and if it does sound off it only goes half as deep as it goes in disc ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread