Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK guys don't get mad i have a Sovereign XS & a Sovereign GT & a Musketeer Advantage and my buddy has a Explorer SE --- the XS has the old 8 inch coinsearch coil the GT had the tornado 1000 coil and the Explorer had the 10 inch FBS coil..... the Musketeer has the TS 800 Slimline coil............. we took them to the test garden will not bore you with the detectors set up but we had tried to get them to all be as close as we could...and then we set them up to what we thought would get the best depth on all them.............. THE MUSKETEER BEAT THEM ALL OUT IN THE DEPTH TEST WITH THE XS BEING SECOND....... Now i know i am going to get some harsh reply's but that is how it came out we used the same test garden same day same time with them all so it was not the phase of the sun or the wet dry ground or the northern lights that caused this phenomenon....................................==Jim_K==

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Whats even more interesting - is no one adding to this thread.
Except Brett - who seems to have a thirst for nowledge and
is always looking to learn something new

fatheadnc

Jun 11, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro, Fisher CZ-5,Delta 4000,Garrett CX-III
That test isn't surprising at all. The Musketeer is a great little detector but for target id. at depth the Explorer series is the best but then again my CZ beats Explorers hands down in depth tests but at depth it ids silver as iron and the Explorer ids it correctly most of the time. Still lets you know that other detectors can be sleepers.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
superficialbob said:
What was the depth on the musky? Thanks Gary
Brett & Gary ...Now this is in a test garden that has been there for about 1 1/2 yrs the coin depth was measured when put in. The musky got a tone you would dig at 9 inches the XS got a tone at 9 inches you might pass up the GT & SE got a tone at 8 Inches but not 9 inches ..If the soil here in North East Ohio on lake Erie had something to do with it i don't know....and all the test was done with a nickel & clad quarter...........==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
warsawdaddy said:
The Musketeer Advantage has always been the sleeper Minelab.Terrific depth!
The reason for that is as soon as some one hears Minelab all they think about is MULTI Frequency like it goes deeper but not true sometimes not as deep............................. ==Jim_K==

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Well I know my E-Trac with the Pro coil can do a clad dime at 8" in my back yard with ease when the soil is not frozen. I just tried it right now with the soil frozen stiff and I can't hear a good tone. If I put it on Auto +0 it's nice and quiet and will hit the dime repeatably but the tone is not so great. I would dig it though because the object it coin sized and registering deep! I think this definitely proves that soil conditions make a big difference for one detector, and when comparing multiple detectors I would put money on different detectors favoring slightly different soil conditions. I.e. their peak depth is in differing soil conditions, and you may not get max depth on all of them at the same time, same soil, same moon and stars ;-)

Jim, if you would like to take the time and go the extra mile to add more data to your informal test, we might be able start to see a picture take shape. I would write down all of the settings of the detectors used and repeat these same tests when the soil is wet, moist, dry, frozen, dog pooped on, etc.. Maybe we will see a difference in performance amongst the detectors from this first test, or maybe they will all stay in the same position and all degrade/improve proportionally.

I would have to agree with you though on just your word that in your test the Sov XS beats the Explorer SE. I don't think anyone could disagree with you because that's what happened right?

What I've come to realize is that these comparative tests really don't matter much, because if you know your particular detector extremely well and it reaches the depth you need to find the stuff that you want to find, and you can get the target separation that you desire, it's all good.

I can be kicking my Dad's butt one second with my E-Trac, and the next he's digging up 3 mercs and 3 wheaties in one hole at 5-6".

Honestly, I have 3 detectors now and I'm looking to buy a DFX to add to the arsenal. I want a White's Coinmaster 1/DB Series 2 as well to replace the one I had as a kid. I want to learn the advantages and disadvantages of them all so that I can pick the best tools for the type of hunting I'm doing. Not to mention, knowing a little bit about them all helps to demystify the "other guy's" detector. If you know what his is capable of then you're not going to start doubting your detector when he's getting lucky putting his coil over a few good ones in a row.

Thanks Jim!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Now I'm more confused as ever. :tard:

I'm overdue for a new detector and have been leaning towards Minelab. I'd love a new ETrac because I'd like to have the ID to help with the decision to dig or not, but I can't justify the cost right now, so the Sovereign GT was my next choice.

I've read a lot of users reports on the GT, and I thought it was the top of the heap, but now a Musketeer with an 8" coil beats the GT with a 10" coil???

I guess it's good news in a way because of the price difference, but it sure throws a wrench in the works as far as my decision goes.

Maybe I'll just get a 10-1/2" spider coil for my 1266 and wait till the dust settles or I win the lottery. ;D

Mike

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
mikewaz said:
Now I'm more confused as ever. :tard:

I'm overdue for a new detector and have been leaning towards Minelab. I'd love a new ETrac because I'd like to have the ID to help with the decision to dig or not, but I can't justify the cost right now, so the Sovereign GT was my next choice.

I've read a lot of users reports on the GT, and I thought it was the top of the heap, but now a Musketeer with an 8" coil beats the GT with a 10" coil???

I guess it's good news in a way because of the price difference, but it sure throws a wrench in the works as far as my decision goes.

Maybe I'll just get a 10-1/2" spider coil for my 1266 and wait till the dust settles or I win the lottery. ;D

Mike
But my 12 inch coil is deeper than all of them on the sovereign and the explorer..........But i like the Sovereign XS better than any of the detectors and i do like the Musketeer...........Like i said they have been in the ground for 1 1/2 years and with the freeze and thaw with out digging them up i don't know how deep they are now....... they could be not as deep or could be deeper .... Who knows what causes these detectors to act like they do ......When the weather breaks we will do it again and it could all change............... I had a GTI 1500 and one time it was deeper than the Sovereign the next time the Sovereign was deeper...........

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Jim_K said:
........Like i said they have been in the ground for 1 1/2 years and with the freeze and thaw with out digging them up i don't know how deep they are now....... they could be not as deep or could be deeper .... Who knows what causes these detectors to act like they do ......When the weather breaks we will do it again and it could all change............... I had a GTI 1500 and one time it was deeper than the Sovereign the next time the Sovereign was deeper...........

Exactly.

Now this begs the question, why did you post this in the first place if you knew it was impossible to honestly say one detector is better than another from ONE test?

I was hanging onto my Explorer SE Pro to do some comparative tests come this spring, but I think now I'll just sell it and put all of my effort into learning my E-Trac and DFX and finding treasure!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know every one will post crap like this now and then...... :icon_scratch: :occasion14:....And i read other post's like this about depth and settings and just blow it off as crap also.......Why does any one put up a post about depth when there are so many variable's to these stupid test's not only in the soil but also in the detectors.None of the post's about depth means a thing what i put up or what any one else put's up ..............I guess just for something to put up...............What he gets on his depth with his detector and i could have the same detector and get a diffrent depth ......You see write ups on how this or that detector is so great for you but i don't like that detector some one will read the post about that great detector run and buy one then hate it.......Buy that time they are out there money ...Instead of going to a dealer and looking at them and try them out they buy on someone's word they don't even know........"" gullible ""........I am gulity of that also one time never again..........................Now me i got the GT & the XS and the Musketeer and i like the XS the best and then the Musketeer that leaves the GT in 3rd place .................. I run the first Sovereign they put out then had the GT then saw a new XS for sale and it was new and they have not made the XS for years & years and i saw this new one about 4 weeks ago and bought it brand new in the box i like the XS better than the GT a lot better but that is me....And if i could find a good first Sovereign they put out i would get it ..........................==Jim_K==

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
I think what it all boils down to is if you are sitting around reading "what's better" than what you currently have, instead of getting out there and doing some real hunting, then you are wasting your time (for a little while anyway).

HH Jim! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Brett said:
I think what it all boils down to is if you are sitting around reading "what's better" than what you currently have, instead of getting out there and doing some real hunting, then you are wasting your time (for a little while anyway).

HH Jim! :occasion14:
Brett... You are right on all i can do now is spend a lot of time on Treasure forums.. The ground is froze and covered with snow............... Yes you get the idea Brett.......You have bad weather up in IL now also right...... ...........................HH .............==Jim_K==

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I like the Advantage also. It is deep, fast and reliable. BUT with every machine you can always go back to a sight you've pounded and still find good targets with another machine. Also try the Musketeer Colt, not quite as deep as the Advantage but a lot less chattery in iron. I have several Sovs, the GT and the original. I am satisfied that I have never found a signal with either that I could not have got with the Advantage. The difference is alot less undesirable targets with the Sovs but get ready to hunt SLOW. The Advantage too me is a great relic machine that can cover alot of ground fast and deep.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
john37115 said:
I like the Advantage also. It is deep, fast and reliable. BUT with every machine you can always go back to a sight you've pounded and still find good targets with another machine. Also try the Musketeer Colt, not quite as deep as the Advantage but a lot less chattery in iron. I have several Sovs, the GT and the original. I am satisfied that I have never found a signal with either that I could not have got with the Advantage. The difference is alot less undesirable targets with the Sovs but get ready to hunt SLOW. The Advantage too me is a great relic machine that can cover alot of ground fast and deep.
You do dig a lot less junk with the Sovereign that is true :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Some dealers prices have dropped on
the new Musky from 698$ to 578$.
Bad economy or maybe there going to
discontinue that model.
Bill..

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ParkHunter61 said:
Some dealers prices have dropped on
the new Musky from 698$ to 578$.
Bad economy or maybe there going to
discontinue that model.
Bill..
The price on the Musky is way to high. They would sell a lot more if they lower the price it is a real nice detector but i think it should be at around $495.00.........But $578.00 is not to bad a lot of people are missing out on a nice detector the reason the price is to high. But most peoplle as soon as they see the Minelab name they only think multi freq. ...tunnel vision... and it is a better detector than the Tesoro or the F 5...better than most................ When they put the price up to $698.00 a while back i thought they were crazy............ I don't think they are going to discontinue it but you never know...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread