Torn between two

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Hey guys Im having trouble choosing between the X-terra 70 and Sovereign GT. I coin and relic hunt mostly in parks and old home sites where iron, nails and trash are fairly abudant and the good stuff is deep. Dont know if my Garrett is getting the job done. ??? I know I posted a question similar to this but after researching the two still cannot decide on the better machine, and for $700-800 I want to be sure I make a good decision. Help and personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
if i could only have one detector it would be the GT! iv tried many others and keep coming back to the GT!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go with the Sovereign i use one. Have used one for years & years. I had the X-Terra 70 and sold it....Like Dixie i have had a lot of detectors also and keep going back to the Sovereign..........==Jim_K==

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would say go with the GT as well. Remember youve got to work it slow, especially in around trashy areas but it will beat the Xterras in depth and target ID. Make sure you get a 180 meter for it, it will really help you.
And also dont forget small coils, they work wonders in trashy areas and get decent depth.

Neil

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys thats the one I was leaning more towards. ;D

S

seger98

I have both & use both, I like the GT pretty much everywhere, but I like the X-terra in trashy areas, has it has a much faster recovery time.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
So how much would you say the GT beats the xterra as far as depth. I noticed the I.D. meter for the GT is another $180. My Garrett in an air test will go about 10" on a quarter with the stock coil and about 8" with the 4.5".

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
depth on my GT is .....8" stock coil about 8" on a dime....10" stock about 10"on a dime and my coil of choice is the S12" about 15" on a dime...this is inground (sand) not air test.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the GT also and think it is the one to use, especially if you mount a Minelab DigiSearch meter and a Sunray inline probe. I have the control box, meter and probe mounted in a chest bag to save weight on the old arm. I think it is deeper than my DFX with the same sized coil.

Attachments

• Minelab meter (WinCE).jpg
    Minelab meter (WinCE).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Minelab meter (WinCE).jpg
    Minelab meter (WinCE).jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
I think having the GT without the meter might be good for me at first to help learn the detector by just listening to the different tones. I find myself relying alot on the visual id's of my Garrett and probably passing over some things I shouldnt alot of the time.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
seger98 said:
I have both & use both, I like the GT pretty much everywhere, but I like the X-terra in trashy areas, has it has a much faster recovery time.
So is the xterra 50 as deep as the 70? I dont nugget hunt so was wondering.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I have the 30, 50, and 70 and find that the 30 and 50 have about the same depth, but the 70 is MUCH deeper, and I'm talking about coin mode, not prospecting mode. In prospecting mode the 70 is deeper than anything out there, at least for me.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the poster I responded to mentioned that he wasn't a nugget hunter. For coin and beach hunting, I prefer my Sovereign XS. For relic hunting, I prefer my X-Terra 50. I do like the target separation of the X-Terras in high trash environments. I have owned several X-Terra 70's, but haven't found them to go deeper than the 50. I like the wider target segment of the 50 as well since it doesn't jump around as much as the 70 did. I didn't need the prospecting mode of the 70. I didn't need the beach mode of the 70. I didn't need the auto-tracking, or auto ground balancing feature of the 70 as I know how to manually ground balance a unit, and I didn't need more than the four tone id of the 50. If I was prospecting though, I would use the 70. Besides, you can pick up a used 50 for almost half the price of a 70, and the only coil selection you miss is the one, nine inch low frequency coil. Not all parts of the country have the same soil conditions so your results may vary.

ps. These are only my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. ;D

Good hunting,
HighPlainsHunter

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the info guys. Im really wanting to get a minelab, all ive used are Garrett detectors and have heard good things about the minelabs especially on depth. I am now also researching and considering the safari. Monty is the only one I know of though that has said much about it....

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Just another opinion for you for what ever its worth.
I own the Elite and have the attached meter. Personally, and again, this is me only, I dont think the meter is worth the money. Once you get used to the noise<tone> this machine makes youll rarely look at the meter. I think this meter was mainly a add on for the Hearing Impaired and I mean that in no disrespectful way what so ever. I hunt the beach daily, and I very, very, very seldom look down at that meter, and even if I do its just out of curiousity. When you go over metal, Iron and such, it will null, a noise you cannot mistake, when you hit a coin the pitch is high, when you go over a pull tab or ring the pitch is low and deep. And believe me when I say youll know when you find a target, if you have this machine set up correctly this thing will sing when it finds something, and it dont miss much!!! As far as depth is concerned, I posted this in my review, Ive dug up pennies from 18" and that is no lie, and I heard them clear as a bell.
I vote for the Sovereign.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
hey thanks great info. I invite all opinions, the more the better. You guys are not makin this an easy decision :laughing7:, they all sound like great machines.

OP
OP
hollywood13185

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Hey guys if anyone else has any opinions, feel free. Im also now considering the Safari if any one has any input on that machine. Thanks again for the help. Josh

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but if it was me i would stick with the ..Sovereign....

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 305
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 290

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread