All Treasure Hunting
Yep Stock Everything. I agree.

Great Detector

OP
OP
B

Blackjaw

Feb 3, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. Based on your advise, this guy is asking a little to much for this machine.

Thanks again for helping out a newbie.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But for a new one that old i would say $480.00 would not be a bad price. For it is new ..a GT that is almost the same they want $800.00 and a XS is just as good as a GT. I had the first Sovereign & the GT and now i use the XS all the same . A few more switches on some that you don't need And more than likely will not use............

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,282
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,166

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just saw a XS go on Ebay for $355.00 with no meter and no Extras , I have seen them go for over $400.00.... I read that the old XS sereis Sovereign"s are going for a good price for more want them then the Elite or GT . I paid $515.00 for my XS brand new in the box a couple of months back. It had a Minelab digger with it and a new case. Now Steve G on the forum here got a great deal on a new XS but not from Ebay he only paid $300.00 Can't beat that for new.......

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • minelab-sovereign_xs.gif
    minelab-sovereign_xs.gif
    105.9 KB · Views: 3,560
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • minelab-sovereign_xs.gif
    minelab-sovereign_xs.gif
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,815

go-rebels

Feb 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
(ex-) Whites 5900, Silver Eagle, XLT
(ex-) ML Sovereign, Explorer XS, II, Etrac
(ex-) Garrett Ace 250
(ex-) Fisher F75
Fisher F75LTD
Fisher cZ-3D cert. by Tom D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great sounding detector and a little north of $400 would not be out of line if it's in the condition you describe. Outside of heavily trashy areas, swung slowly, it will match up against the E-trac and F-75.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
just use caution i here some of the parts you can no longer get if it goes bad :o

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dixie Digger said:
just use caution i here some of the parts you can no longer get if it goes bad :o
I have been useing the Sovereign since they first came out . And i talked to the Teck. and he said they have most of the parts for them if not all. If you talk to the woman who answers the phone you would think they have no parts for them.. I just got a NiMH rechargeable battery for mine... I was looking for Double AA battery holder for it and they told me in the office they had none. So after i got one .." I got it from someone on treasurenet here.".....So i talked to the Minelab Teck. and he said they have some in the back you have to talk to the right person..... And no one workes on them but Minelab But Gary from the Compass forum had problems with his . He called Keith Wills at East texas metal detectors Keith and he said i do not work on them but send it to me and i will look at it....He looked at it and fixed it for him..

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,043

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
Jim_K . I have a old sovereign XS it quit working every one told me throw it away can't be fixed no parts. .About 8 months ago sent it to Minelab. Guess what they they fixed it it now works like new. What is that saying --- don't beleive anything you hear-- and -- only half of what you see --

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i saw a post about it last year,something about a chip or circuit board. but then again iv had 8 Sovereing's and only problem i ever had was the battery door snap wore out on one of them.

Irontask

Mar 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab/ Explorer ll/ Sovereign/ Tesoro Tiger Shark
I agree with Jim K a good used Sovereign XS at 400.00 dollars isn't bad.The Sovereign will cost extra money for the add ons to make this unit have top performance. Sunray meter when found 100-125 plus straight rod Assembly 70.00 the S1 probe used 125-130 not to mention at least one more coil option.I sold my GT last year with the acessari es separate and was very surprised by the final sales price.By the way I bought another XS2 and again the price for the accessories brought the cost up.Base Sovereign in working condition avg 355.00-375.00. HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with any of the Sovereigns....

Here is an old post on the differences in the Sovereigns. they added a hot link for the Sovereign GT, but the link is broke.

***THE BASICS*** (http://www.geocities.com/sovereignmods/index.html)

The Minelab Sovereign was introduced over 10 years ago but remains one of the most powerful detectors available .With its BBS 17 FREQUENCY TECHNOLOGY & DOUBLE D COILS its a serious detecting weapon. Over the years a few changes have been made to the Sovereign . Ill try to describe some of the differences. But most everyone agrees , any of them will get the job done..

Sovereign This model is known as the original. It differs from the newer models by being the only Sovereign with a switch to turn iron mask off & on. It has a battery with a plug in connector .. Some say this is the deepest seeking Sovereign when used with the iron mask turned off. This Detector came with the solid , white Coinsearch Coil that remains a favorite of many Sovereign Owners yet today.The Coinsearch coil is NOT waterproof.

Sovereign XS The XS was the next Sovereign. The big difference between this XS & the original is the lack of the iron mask switch. It is always in iron mask mode. It also uses the plug in battery & came with the same 8" Coinsearch coil as the original. At some point during the XS production a RF shield was added to help keep the unit from picking up unwanted interference.

Sovereign XS2 Pro The XS2 Pro used a new drop in battery & came with the new 8" or 10" black BBS coils.These coils are waterproof.

Sovereign XS2A Pro The XS2A Pro is the same as the XS2 Pro except for the addition of a tone switch to select the multiple tones for which the Sovereign is know for or the fixed tone mode which makes the Sovereign give the same tone for any target. Some people , mostly beach hunter prefer this mode because they dig everything anyway. Most Sovereign users find this switch worthless.

The Sovereign Elite It has a new streamlined case & mount like the Advantage, a new nimh battery system that eliminates the somewhat troublesome battery door used on all previous models. It has a 2 position noise cancel switch that may help some & has a lighter coil mounted on a 2 piece shaft . The same old 550 meter is used with a new decal ,still no remote all metal switch & due the new battery & mount system it is even heavier than the old style. The only features that appeal to me are the lighter coil & the spiffy arm rest ..The only reason I could see for buying one is the noise cancel , I like the old lightweight V-clip system , SR has the battery situation covered & you can buy at least 2 nice used XS models or 1 & a gob of accessories for what the Elite will cost you. If you don't need the noise cancel & the need to have the latest model of every gadget you own ,stick with the old model..

On the GT I like having the advantage of turning the iron mask on and off if I want to and I also like the silent search mode. I dont use it all the time, but I do use it at times. I set a good threshold tone, then switch to silent mode.

At the beach depending on the conditions and how many targets I am running into I wiill use the all metal mode with the 15 inch WOT coiil which makes it a deep hunter, then I switch to disc when I find a target to see if it is a good target.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't go wrong with any of the Sovereigns....

Here is an old post on the differences in the Sovereigns. they added a hot link for the Sovereign GT, but the link is broke.

***THE BASICS*** (http://www.geocities.com/sovereignmods/index.html)

The Minelab Sovereign was introduced over 10 years ago but remains one of the most powerful detectors available .With its BBS 17 FREQUENCY TECHNOLOGY & DOUBLE D COILS its a serious detecting weapon. Over the years a few changes have been made to the Sovereign . Ill try to describe some of the differences. But most everyone agrees , any of them will get the job done..

Sovereign This model is known as the original. It differs from the newer models by being the only Sovereign with a switch toturn iron mask off & on. It has a battery with a plug in connector .. Some say this is the deepest seeking Sovereign when used with the iron mask turned off. This Detector came with the solid , white Coinsearch Coil that remains a favorite of many Sovereign Owners yet today.The Coinsearch coil is NOT waterproof.

... big_logo.gif
Now ..TH .. It has been 22 years since the first Sovereign has been put out ..The first Sovereign was put out in 1991......I know this is a old post from 2009.. but i think it was a good one on the Sovereign .....And could help some understand the Sovereigns....................your post on the different model Sovereign's above is a good one .....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread