Will the 3kHz X-TERRA coil see a gold ring???

Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
-

In other words....I like the idea of the 3kHz coil being a silver sniper.

But will the 3Khz coil still see and sound off accurately to a gold ring 6" down?
I won't be doing any gold prospecting......and my intended target isn't small grams of gold.
I want to shoot coins and jewelry.

If any of you do an airtest wave with your wedding band 6" from the 3kHz coil....does the X-Terra 70 sound off with a tone that can be distinguished from other tones?
Does gold still have a 'signature' at this low frequency?

Thanks!

-

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
most gold detectors run at a high frequency, while it's not impossible to find gold, with the low frequency, it would make it a lot more difficult

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
It absolutely will. I have found many, many gold rings with mine. That is like saying that the 18.75KHz will not find a silver coin. Metal detectors by nature love round objects.
Yes the ring will have a sound of its own.

Also, air tests mean squat as to how a machine works in the ground.

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
vondrewvious said:
It absolutely will. I have found many, many gold rings with mine. That is like saying that the 18.75KHz will not find a silver coin. Metal detectors by mature love round objects.
Yes the ring will have a sound of its own.

Thanks vondrew! I order my Minelab 705 next week and have been hemming & hawing over whether I wanna pick up a 3kHz coil as well.
And I will be getting one.

Also - I simply CANNOT find the thread about it - by I remember reading how a TN member set up a 'portable' test garden by taking KNOWN targets and sealing them between two strips of duck tape about 25in apart or so. He then fastened these test strips to a durable (canvass) fabric sheet. Rolls up nice and neat and it's portable.

I'll make one of these with what few targets I already have so that I can test how the two coils act according to target (7.5kHz vs. 3kHz)

I am TOTALLY excited about getting my new MD!

vondrewvious said:
Also, air tests mean squat as to how a machine works in the ground.
So I've read.......but one of you fellas would be more likely to do a quick air test to confirm that the 3kHz coil will at least register a gold ring as opposed to going out and burying it for a test.

-

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only will you be excited with your new X-terra but, you will be surprised how user friendly it will be. And oh so versatile. Just wait until you hear the sweet tone it gives you on a quarter.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Gary, I think it works something like changing the frequency you gain or lose
an inch or so, depending on the object.

The stock 7.5 kHz coil would be a compromise for tolerable coin & gold results.

The 18.75 kHz would give the best results for gold & nickels, the 3 kHz the best results
for high conductors like silver.

So I guess 7.5 kHz best if you can only go over an area once. If you can return to the area a few times, you might want to go over it with 18.75 kHz & 3 kHz coils to get everything this detector can reach. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
Gary in Pennsylvania
Feb 23, 2009
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
George (MN) said:
The 18.75 kHz would give the best results for gold & nickels, the 3 kHz the best results
for high conductors like silver.

So I guess 7.5 kHz best if you can only go over an area once. If you can return to the area a few times, you might want to go over it with 18.75 kHz & 3 kHz coils to get everything this detector can reach. HH, George (MN)

MAN!!!!! I’M GOING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the cash in hand to order my X-terra 705 RIGHT NOW.

I was hoping to pick up a 3kHz coil and use that as my PRIMARY coil. See the silver crystal clear. Still see gold rings & nickels....it'll just sig differently that if it were wearing a 18.75kHz coil.
I'm primarily shooting coins and jewelry. All metal with a 3kHz U was figuring will clean up.

WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Medium mens gold wedding band 14 on the 3KHz's coil.. Does that help?

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Gary, Your making yourself crazy. If you concentrate on getting the coil over good areas, you will hear the objects. Just get the machine for now then try a 3KHz later if it's that big of an issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread