Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

marxionu

Dec 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75, Minelab Explorer SE PRO
40 is usually big rusty metal, or trash.

obxguy2000

Mar 16, 2009
Sanford NC, but originally from Edenton NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
The low numbers are usually the rusty trash, but aluminum cans read very high. How deep are you digging before you decide the hole is empty? How wide is you hole? There has been one instance where this has happened to me and I dug over 16 inches and did not find anything. I can still goto that spot and still get a reading. Oneday, I will dig it up, I hope.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
obxguy2000 said:
The low numbers are usually the rusty trash, but aluminum cans read very high. How deep are you digging before you decide the hole is empty? How wide is you hole? There has been one instance where this has happened to me and I dug over 16 inches and did not find anything. I can still goto that spot and still get a reading. Oneday, I will dig it up, I hope.
My hole gets to about a foot and a half and almost a foot wide. i figured not even the mighty minelab would get a coin that deep!!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Block out the +40 value in every mode and then save your setting. You won't need it unless you want more aluminum than you can deal with.

Ray

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ray in WA said:
Block out the +40 value in every mode and then save your setting. You won't need it unless you want more aluminum than you can deal with.

Ray
Thats a hell of a tip. Thanks Ray

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I'm with Ray on blocking out 40. With the Quattro 40 is usually either really nice aluminum, or a hot rock. Most often a hot rock. I have had "ghosts" that show 40 too. Never anything good though!

With the Quattro I have noticed that 40 shows up most ofen in High Trash mode. Is that the case with the Safari?

Good Luck,
Mark

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the quattro low trash seems more stable. Ids better. 38s are nice :headbang:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been wrestling with a Safari for about 5 months I can tell you that 40 is always crap! What I have found is that a rusty nail will show up as a 40 if the conditions are just right and you will dig past it and it will be hiding in the side of your hole and it will fool you every time. If you are digging a hole a foot wide, you are over doing it! My biggest plugs are only abut 6" wide and they might be deep but no need for wide unless you are digging up a 56 buick. Do you have a hand held pinpointer? If not get one! It will save countless hours of unnecessary digging. Even that little Harbor freight thing is a good buy, I have 2 and they both work as good as the old $130.00 one I had to start with. And get Ken Sabiche's book on the Quattro and read it like the bible. The Safari is just an improved Quattro. And also read everything you can on operating the Safari. I am not a novice but I have really had to work hard to figure out what language my Safari was speaking. I am just now getting it where we can communicate. Monty

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I would definately agree with Monty on the pinpointer! Best investment an mder can make if your machine will go deeeeeep!

One of the worst "ghost holes" I ever dug turned out to be a 7" saw blade burried at an angle. It was a foot from my hole and was still IDing as a 38 over my hole. Laying on an angle as it was it was pinpointing with the coil about the size of a coin.
So, angled metal can throw the signal too. That sucker had me cutting roots and digging. Pinpointer showed nothing, but the Quattro was singing a whole different tune.

Good Luck,
Mark

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37 38 s or pretty good on the quattro. Because its a pretty deep machine sometimes. Yull hit targets that are hard to get at. I hate diggen near trees because of the darn roots. But some of the best stuff ive found has been near treas lol. Guess theres no choice. :director:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Found an old coin purse, or the remains of one. Had Barber dime, IHs and a Liberty Nickel, all from 1899 to 1907.
It was in the rotted roots of a bit old tree.

Yeah, I hate roots, but I deal with 'em to get the goodies.

Good Luck,
Mark

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I am digging near a lot of trees and roots I carry a little pair of hand snips. They will cut right through a root up to about finger size. Big root are a different story. I sometimes just have to dig around and under them and use my pinpointer a lot. But true, they do hold some good targets. I don't know how many really old coins I have read about here on Tnet that was under a tree root. Monty

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...thanks to Monty, and a few others here and in other threads, I may NOT be wrapping my Safari around a fence post anytime soon! :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...thanks to Monty, and a few others here and in other threads, I may NOT be wrapping my Safari around a fence post anytime soon! :notworthy:
I miss Monty.....[emoji26]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread