Explorer II question

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I have an SE Pro and although the Minelabs are relatively new to me, I'm comfortable with the machine and how it works. I picked up a primo/barely used Explorer II as a backup and I noticed some things are different about it. Can an Explorer II user chime in and give me some advice on the Exp II? I know the machines are similar but I wanted to hear from some of the veteran Exp II users to make sure I set it up correctly. Thanks!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you can set is as you would your Se. Some functions have only been re-named, that's all.
Settings also depend on what your hunting. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Ex II is probably still the better detector if it's true that the recovery is faster on the SE. Using an Explorer is more about how you swing it, not so much the recovery. I've played with an SE but only for a few minutes, it however was enough to say they're close enough that you won't have any problems.

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
I seem to get fooled by deep rusty nails more with my SE than the EX 2 . It could be because i'm digging more "iffies" than I used to as I am getting more desperate to find silver in the heavily hunted spots I've been hitting

H H ,
George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirt doctor said:
I seem to get fooled by deep rusty nails more with my SE than the EX 2 . It could be because i'm digging more "iffies" than I used to as I am getting more desperate to find silver in the heavily hunted spots I've been hitting

H H ,
George

Using the Slimline coil? That is the common complaint using that coil.

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Thanks IP. I know you have an EX II and I wanted to hear what you thought. You couldn't be more correct about the importance of swing speed with the Minelabs. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, more so after a good find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXBLUZMAN said:
Thanks IP. I know you have an EX II and I wanted to hear what you thought. You couldn't be more correct about the importance of swing speed with the Minelabs. I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, more so after a good find.

It's both swing length and swing speed that has to be adjusted depending on the amount of trash. I think only a small number of explorer users ever figure that out. I bet all the "how to" books only ever talk about slowing down.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirt doctor said:
No , I don't use the Slimline coil , this has happened with the Ex2 stock 10.5 coil , the Sunray X-8 and with my new pro coil while they were on my SE .

H H ,
George

ok, then we're back to the reason I don't buy an SE. It's said to have a bit faster recovery and it is my belief that when you speed things up you lose some of the accurate target ID at depth, it's because of the the detetor wanting to process to the next target. When you wiggle an explorer in trash it almost makes me think of it being a hover, and if you know what to listen for it sure works well. People always talk about faster recovery is what you want in trash, which would mean the Exporer XS and II should be brutal... when they're great. I've never been shown a target I could not hear yet I've shown many oher brands, and faster recovering detectors stuff they could not hear. Only once I cut the plug did they start getting a signal. Seeing Minelab starting to adapt their units more to what sells on paper will probably keep me an XS/EX II user forever.

OP
OP
TXDIRTFISHER

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
IP....I need to pick your brain for some info if you have time....

What are your thoughts on Auto Sens vs. Manual Sens?

Conductive or Ferrous tones and why? Isn't it just a creature comfort and not a performance issue?

Higher or lower IM numbers? I have my SE Pro set to 26 out of 32 which means I'm accepting some iron right? I'm still learning the machine. The Exp II value for that would be 10 out of 16?

Thanks.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXBLUZMAN said:
IP....I need to pick your brain for some info if you have time....

What are your thoughts on Auto Sens vs. Manual Sens?

Conductive or Ferrous tones and why? Isn't it just a creature comfort and not a performance issue?

Higher or lower IM numbers? I have my SE Pro set to 26 out of 32 which means I'm accepting some iron right? I'm still learning the machine. The Exp II value for that would be 10 out of 16?

Thanks.

Easy enough I think...

Both Auto. & man. work well. The problem with auto is you never know how low your detector adjusting to, and if you use it, run it high so in clean ground you won't be limiting yourself. Most people who have used an Explorer a long time use man. but starting out I don't see running like something auto 30 a big deal.

Conductive vs Ferrous is actually just comfort, or call it preference, because the detector reacts the same way... especially on high tone targets like coins. Whether you're in conductive or ferrous coins in iron will give a blended tone. I prefer conductive being used to hearing the low sound on buttons breaking through when hunting iron but I can easy switch to ferrous with no problems. For some reason newer users seem to prefer ferrous sounds when hunting iron but if you learn it that way it's where you'll stay. I just like conductive better.

Iron Mask I run at -14 which would be equal to -28 on an SE. It's the perfect point for me blocking nails but leaving everything else. It has been many years I've used the same settings so have got to understand exactly how iron comes in, small, med. and large pieces. Once you understand iron completely on an explorer is when you really know it. For years I avoided digging large pieces knowing all the time I was missing some good relics. Then finally one day I had enough and decided to start going after some bigger pieces at my older sites. Over the next year I was amazed how I was able to cherry pick the larger good relics not wasting much time digging iron, but also as I said the lesson in how different size iron comes in taught me a hell of a lot in using the explorer in general. Right now I'm at the point that I won't learn much more with this detector or be any better with it, so it's all about just getting out to dig. I guess that's the way it should be after 9 years or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread