Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I don't get to hunt with my Safari near as much as I need to. I got mine, did some learning and then had some health problems that have sidelined me for awhile. I had problems with my Safari and did send it back to Minelab. after waithing six weeks I got it back saying nothing was wrong with it. Another person got his about the same time and loves his and has made many exceptional finds. Now that I am back to my Safari I am still having the same problems, too long and complicted to go into on this forum. Falsing, dozens and dozens of tones in just a few feet of moving so that it gets so confusing I finally give up and go to my 300 dollar machine and find stuff. Changing the sensitivity and resetting the machine has no effect. So mine is gathering dust. Up until now I have been optimistic, but even the most optimistic person has to know when to give up! I don't think sueing someone is going to get you anything but expense and a waste of time. The machine is a product of Minelab, not Kellyco. And there are too many people who have had satisfactory results with their Safaris. So, mine will sit in the closet and continue to gather dust. I would sell it, but I don't want to pass it along to someone else to worry with. So, I learned a thousand dollar+ lesson. I'll get over it. I might feel better if I toss it in the lake. but why bother? Monty

Doing the same thing with alk batteries? A bad Minelab battery can do that, and it happens.

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
When i ordered my safari...I also ordered a 1600 battery and charger with it. the charger is still on backorder(8wks later) , so i havent used that rechargable battery. Ive only used energizer and coppertop. So...maybe there is something to that Monty?

LowBag

Greenie
Apr 22, 2010
Melbourne, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Made my own charger from a 15volt 150mAh wall transformer that I bout in a thrift store (had a box of wall plugs in the back storage area). I could not find a single wall plug that had the voltage and plug size for the battery pack . So I bought two and cut/splice together. Both charges cost me $2.00 (instead of the $15), and it's great not having to buy AA's every two days of hunting.

Glenn

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Monty said:
I don't get to hunt with my Safari near as much as I need to. I got mine, did some learning and then had some health problems that have sidelined me for awhile. I had problems with my Safari and did send it back to Minelab. after waithing six weeks I got it back saying nothing was wrong with it. Another person got his about the same time and loves his and has made many exceptional finds. Now that I am back to my Safari I am still having the same problems, too long and complicted to go into on this forum. Falsing, dozens and dozens of tones in just a few feet of moving so that it gets so confusing I finally give up and go to my 300 dollar machine and find stuff. Changing the sensitivity and resetting the machine has no effect. So mine is gathering dust. Up until now I have been optimistic, but even the most optimistic person has to know when to give up! I don't think sueing someone is going to get you anything but expense and a waste of time. The machine is a product of Minelab, not Kellyco. And there are too many people who have had satisfactory results with their Safaris. So, mine will sit in the closet and continue to gather dust. I would sell it, but I don't want to pass it along to someone else to worry with. So, I learned a thousand dollar+ lesson. I'll get over it. I might feel better if I toss it in the lake. but why bother? Monty

Heve you tried another coil? It sounds like a coil problem. See if that other person who has a safari will let you try their coil. It is worth a try.

doubloonhunter

Jul 1, 2005
CT/FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur minelab .. Etrac on order... Minelab safari back up
ive had the exact same problem as you my friend.. im furious with minelab and kelly co

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several different kinds of premium batteries and 3 coils! I've already been down this road. Monty

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Monty,
Sorry to hear you are still fighting with the Safari!
I'm still out hunting with my old Quattro. If you tried coils, batteries etc. I'm sure you tried different locations/soils.
I've had a few places where I just couldn't get the Quattro to do anything but jabber on, even though other detectors seemed to be doing fine there.

On the flip side I've had many locations were I easily got better signals than the V3 that was hunting the same area.

Really hate to hear you aren't having any luck with the Safari.

Wishing you the best,
Mark

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doubloonhunter, have you contacted Wanda or anyone at Kellyco about the issues you are having with your Safari? How long ago did you purchase the unit? I'd like to see if I can help out, so if you would, please PM me your information so I can look up your account.

Thanks.
Ms. Blaze

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dealt with Wanda for 6 years and bought several detectors from her and never had a problem. I sure hope there is a misunderstanding somewhere because that doesn't sound like the Wanda I know. But while we are at it, anyone want to trade a top of the line Tesoro for my Safari and all the toys? I've given up on it. Monty

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have dealt with Wanda for 6 years and bought several detectors from her and never had a problem. I sure hope there is a misunderstanding somewhere because that doesn't sound like the Wanda I know. But while we are at it, anyone want to trade a top of the line Tesoro for my Safari and all the toys? I've given up on it. Monty

So you think it's broken but will do a trade? It's seems like you're still on the fence whether the unit has issues, or it's just not your type of detector. If it's not your taste this has nothing to do with Kellyco doing something wrong.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Monty said:

I have a 9/10 condition Cortes, a 10/10 condition Tesoro bag, and maybe even a 12x10 coil I would gladly trade you for that POS Safari...

and I will include a Silver uMax with stock coil...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a new Silver Umax, missed it somehow on your PM. No, it isn't me that has issues with Kellyco, just that the Safari and I don't speak the same language. Monty

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Didn't know you had a Silver uMax... I love my Silver Sabre uMax. So the Safari acts erratically with all coils and battery combinations? Wonder if that is just something normal that people get used to? Either way I would like to give those multi frequencies a try...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
Didn't know you had a Silver uMax... I love my Silver Sabre uMax. So the Safari acts erratically with all coils and battery combinations? Wonder if that is just something normal that people get used to? Either way I would like to give those multi frequencies a try...

If a Tesoro runs ok on the same sites a higher end Minelab would be solid as a rock unless the user is using settings that are out of the ordinary ....meaning to the extreme. In my experience it's almost always the coil, then probably a circuit board/electronic problem, and last a rechargeable battery issue. Sometimes problems are hard to diagnose for a new user who only has the one coil, and not always picked up by people who have been using one for several months. I've hunted with two people who were using totally messed up units and had no idea there was a problem. Fortunately for them all I needed to do was a factory reset and both were A1. I guarantee without a shadow of a doubt there are a lot of people who have Minelabs that's aren't 100% and have no idea. For some reason some of the coils when gone bad will only give a little noise when wet, but otherwise hang on very well... but this doesn't mean they're 100%. They will actually get used to it and only change once it's very obvious, then with the new one it's a world of difference. The strangest problem I've had was about 6 years ago there was some type of weird glitch in my explorer that made it erratic and the battery indicator showing way off. I had to try resetting about a dozen times doing a cold boot the last 5, and finally the detector unlocked the problem. It never happened again, but the thing is it wasn't so bad that someone new probably wouldn't have known there was a problem. I was even second guessing myself on whether it was me, the detector, or the site, but luckily the battery reading tipped me off.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mainly been using Enloop rechargables, but I have used some Energizers. At the time I couldn't tell much difference if any, but that was when I first got it. So, I think I will give the battery thing one more chance and see what results I get if any. Can't hurt and may save me a ton of money. I just get tired of so mcuh chatter it is almost impossible to feret out the true sweet signals. And I know I have dug a hundred holes a foot deep and found nothing while the damn thing keeps right on saying it's only another 4 inches! And I do search the sides to make sure I haven't missed the target. And speaking of the SilverUmax.....I have gone back over a dry hole and not got even a twitter with the Umax. Well, here goes one more time. Monty

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Monty,
Are you searching in "All Metal"? The only time I get that scenario with my Quattro is when I'm searching for everything with the sensitivity on Auto or about 16. Watch for alot of "40's" on your display. If you see that it has been my experience it is falsing like crazy.
Good Luck!
Mark

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Monty said:
I have mainly been using Enloop rechargables, but I have used some Energizers. At the time I couldn't tell much difference if any, but that was when I first got it. So, I think I will give the battery thing one more chance and see what results I get if any. Can't hurt and may save me a ton of money. I just get tired of so mcuh chatter it is almost impossible to feret out the true sweet signals. And I know I have dug a hundred holes a foot deep and found nothing while the damn thing keeps right on saying it's only another 4 inches! And I do search the sides to make sure I haven't missed the target. And speaking of the SilverUmax.....I have gone back over a dry hole and not got even a twitter with the Umax. Well, here goes one more time. Monty
Monty...try to search at 10 sensitivity. the dang thing is so sensitive that it will pick up very small shards of metal when you use auto or higher sensitivity settings
WAYUPNORTH

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:

I had a similiar experience on a lesser scale going from the concentric coil on my GTI to the DD on an Explorer. The chatter doesn't seem right unless you are running the detector very hot, which really isn't a good idea for a detectror you're not used to.

When you had the problems were you in ferrours in conductive, and were the signals high or low sounding that you dug to find nothing? I have no idea at what point your understanding is for the unit, but you should go right back to square one. Start with some very basic settings, take an extra couple coils and some alk batts., and hunt in clean ground to try to figure out what is going on. It sucks too much to have a high end detcetor like that collecting dust... not to mention the warranty ticking.

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
I usually ignore +40 signals...because it has been said....they are usually a rusted metal item. But after months of trial and error. I conclude that +40 will be silver if it jumps from +40 to no lower than about -3.BUT on the other hand...+40 ..jumping to -10 is usually a deeply deteriated rusted metal. ...Oh I might add..there may have been a small metal peice nearby to cause the -3 reading....but i didnt detect anything after retreiving the ring.....Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is an example of a +40....-3 meter jump..see pic

Attachments

• 101_5833.JPG
    101_5833.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 718
  • 101_5838.JPG
    101_5838.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 720
  • 101_5833.JPG
    101_5833.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 733
  • 101_5838.JPG
    101_5838.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 705

turkeybuck

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Safari arrived today, so I tried it out in my cousins back yard. Things went pretty well the first 30 to 45 minutes. put it in coin mode and found a wheat penny with a unrecognizable date. Got on another target under a tree and and then started digging, then try hole again and pin point, then dig some more. This went on a couple of minutes. I was doing my ground balance several times just to make sure things where OK. What ever it was it seemed like it kept moving. So I would dig in another direction. Then check it again and it was gone? Did a pin point and my machine started acting crazy, so I turned it off and restarted in again. When I would pin point, it would make the noise when I was holding it in the air away from me and when I would put it on the ground, it would go silent. Once, the pin point graph was dancing like music was going through it. By this time, I thought maybe my batteries was going bad or something. Got home and took it out and it did it again after about 20 minutes. Had three bars in the battery window, so that's not it. Any ides anyone? Didn't seem to be getting the depth like i was expecting when I would air test it with a coin on the top of the ground, it Seems like 6 to 7 inches and nothing after that when I raise my coil up and down on top of a coin. I hope it's just me, and not the machine. I don;t have a clue. I had a MXT before this and never had issues like this with it. Any help will be much appreciated. Lee in East Tennessee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread