safari settings

metalman338

Greenie
Apr 18, 2006
I'm looking for some opinions on settings used ,i have watched some video's on the safari and do not agree on the settings at all,i think the ferrous sound is way deeper than conductive ,and also the threshold setting, i set it off,i don't see a reason for it because it does not tell you if there is a good target just a target you have discm. out , i really do like the safari the more i use it ,i also set it in high trash not low setting,in low the recovery speed is real slow,recovery speed isn't everything it helps alot- BUT- ifyour machine cannot ground balance and get into the ground, quick recovery means nothing just my 2 cents,tony c

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I use the stock settings in all modes but cross save the ferrous sounds to the coin and coin & jewelry modes. I also block out the +40 value in every mode and have pretty good success with this. I use high density setting too which is great for target separation. Manually set the sensitivity to take care of the ground mineralization. I find that using auto sensitivity on land I have a problem getting repeatable signals on good targets. Other than this, it's just a matter of slowing one's swing down and learning the language of ferrous tones.

Ray

Dale Simmons

Dec 24, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Equinox 600
I use the same settings as Ray. Maybe that's because he sent them to me when I first got my Safari. The Safari is a great unit. I know there are several people that have tried them and been dissatisfied. If they would have hung in there alittle longer and learned the music coming from the Safari, they too might have loved it. Just my two cents.

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I dont know a thing about a Safari or its settings but I couldnt help but see you wanting to turn your threshold off. There are some that like a silent threshold, but that weak signal coming off that silver dollar isnt going to break thru if its silent. Most of us like a small hum, then when you hear that hum raise a bit, that could be a deep weak target trying to break thru,giving you a hint, then maybe you could increase your gain or signal to get another read, or better, dig and see what it is.
If you already know this, just ignore me,lol.
John

OP
OP
M

metalman338

Greenie
Apr 18, 2006
hey john, if you have used minelabes in the past like the sovereigns ex-gt- excalibur the threshold giving different pitches is the signal itself only when the threshold nulls is it going over a unwanted target (iron) or something that you have discriminated out,on the safari the only time the threshold does stop is when your going over iron or disc.out targets,to my knowledge going over a good target the threshold does nothing there are different sounds that the safari makes when a good target is detected,that is why i do not use a threshold on this machine i shut it off,thanks ,tony

MQ71

Aug 13, 2009
This is a great topic for the new Safari user!
I have only dug iron from readings of "40", so it is good to hear that other are blocking this out.

Has anyone noticed a serious difference in depth between conductive and ferrous?

Thanks

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
metalman,
On your threshold issue. I really like knowing when my machine is nulling out. If you have a silent threshold you can't tell if you are wasting your time in a field of can slaw and junque. I also like to slow down more when the machine is nulling, first to see if there are coins around the crappe that others have left, and also to give a second or two for the machine to be ready for the good signal that I may otherwise have blown right on by.
I use a Quattro, which may recover just a tad slower than a Safari, but the same principle applies.

Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck,
Mark

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
MQ71 said:
Has anyone noticed a serious difference in depth between conductive and ferrous?

I have found no difference in depth between using ferrous or conductive mode. But you will find depth is affected by how much discrimination you use. You might also miss hearing deeper targets if your sensitivity is too high for the kind of ground that you're detecting. So bring that sensitivity down if necessary to where you have a smooth threshold tone while detecting.

Ray

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the selling point of the Safari over the Quattro was the much fasterr recovery time. If your recovery time is that slow I would send it back to Minelab and have it checked. That's what I just did! Haven't got it back yet however. Their recovery time isn't very fast either! When I sent mine in I told them I could almost take a nap waiting for the machine to reset. That was not far from true. Every successful user has remarked about how they were impressed witih the quick recovery time. Ray and I got ours at about the same time and have talked back and forth and he is doing real well with his. I'd listen to what he has to say. Another thing, Safari sounded exactly the same no matter which mode it was inand I kept reading about the difference. That really had me confused because I never heard how it was supposed to sound so I didn't know if it was malfunctioning or not! I sure hope I can tell the difference when I get it back. Monty

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quattro and its recovery and swing rate is a bit improved by the 8inch minelab coil wich is really good in parks and at the beach. I usually set the trash setting to low because its ids more acuratly that way. As far as threshold and sens etc everything auto and run it in jewlry and coin mode 99 percent of the time. Seems to work pretty well.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set my Safari on Coins , but cross saved it in the Ferrous mode. I descriminated out 40 and every thing in between -10 and 13 (iron). Left 14 and 15 open (nickels) and also 20 and 21(gold), and 34-39 (copper and silver). That way if I hit rusted iron with the halo effect it may still show as silver but will have a low iron tone and I know it's not silver. It works! The only questionable signal now is aluminum cans and can slaw that shows up as silver. But in the ferous mode it comes in at a 34 or 35 and I can usually tell if it's a full size can by the size of the pinpoint signal. Crushed cans and can slaw are still a problem as well as aluminum screw on bottle caps., but even they come in at a 34 or 35 instead of a silver signal. Low or High trash doesn't seem to make much difference, but I haven't tested it enough to be sure. Monty

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Monty...you are very correct in your findings!....Ive only had my safari for around 1.5 months...but I just wanted to ditto what you had said in your last post.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray in CA said:
MQ71 said:

I have found no difference in depth between using ferrous or conductive mode. But you will find depth is affected by how much discrimination you use. You might also miss hearing deeper targets if your sensitivity is too high for the kind of ground that you're detecting. So bring that sensitivity down if necessary to where you have a smooth threshold tone while detecting.

Ray

There is no difference, just different sounding. How each is set is what may affect depth because new users tend to be able to use less disc. when using ferrous.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I agree with IP on the reduced use of Disc being easier in Ferrous.

If you set up to discriminate out everything but quality gold and coins just remember to noise cancel fairly often.
I've had nickels and Indian Heads come in below 14 (Nickels) and Indians as low as 29. Noise cancel usually brings them back to a normal ID, but not always.

Good Luck,
Mark

doubloonhunter

Jul 1, 2005
CT/FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur minelab .. Etrac on order... Minelab safari back up
Re: safari settings URGENT POST

I am a NEW safari owner, I have been metal detecting since i was 10 years old. I own an excalibur which i keep in florida for diving 1715 wreck sites during summer months. I live in CT , the northeast the rest of the year. I received the safarr from WANDA at kelly CO. I F@#$@#$CKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW SHIT... they shoot from the hip.. bottom line. the safari for land hunting is a POS.. im furious i have to waste my time and money and repackage this POS. i feel like suing kelly co.. it is the WORST machine you can use for ground detecting. Due to the machines inability to stablize with mineralization in play you have to SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE SENSITIVITY, thus nullifying the "great depth" this machine for 1000$ is suppose to give you... its a very good beach machine but simply is a 200 detector for land...i have to have the manual sensitivity down to 5 !!! to stop all the stupid random signals. i normally detect with threshold but had to shut it off today for the first time in my life because im tired of listening to the false targets. I spent 4 hrs today digging tough northeast holes with big rocks breaking my ass only to learn the targets were BS... i got it this week and im on the VERGE of suing kellyco.. im tired of this crap from them...

halfstep

May 11, 2010

doubloonhunter said:
I am a NEW safari owner, I have been metal detecting since i was 10 years old. I own an excalibur which i keep in florida for diving 1715 wreck sites during summer months. I live in CT , the northeast the rest of the year. I received the safarr from WANDA at kelly CO. I F@#$@#$CKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW --deleted--... they shoot from the hip.. bottom line. the safari for land hunting is a POS.. im furious i have to waste my time and money and repackage this POS. i feel like suing kelly co.. it is the WORST machine you can use for ground detecting. Due to the machines inability to stablize with mineralization in play you have to SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE SENSITIVITY, thus nullifying the "great depth" this machine for 1000$ is suppose to give you... its a very good beach machine but simply is a 200 detector for land...i have to have the manual sensitivity down to 5 !!! to stop all the stupid random signals. i normally detect with threshold but had to shut it off today for the first time in my life because im tired of listening to the false targets. I spent 4 hrs today digging tough northeast holes with big rocks breaking my ass only to learn the targets were BS... i got it this week and im on the VERGE of suing kellyco.. im tired of this crap from them...

That's the first I heard of this. I have read a lot of reviews on the safari and haven't ran across this. Maybe it is defective. Because you are having problems don't make it a POS. Send it back and get something else. Let us know how the lawsuit works out.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

halfstep said:
doubloonhunter said:
I am a NEW safari owner, I have been metal detecting since i was 10 years old. I own an excalibur which i keep in florida for diving 1715 wreck sites during summer months. I live in CT , the northeast the rest of the year. I received the safarr from WANDA at kelly CO. I F@#$@#$CKING HATE PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW --deleted--... they shoot from the hip.. bottom line. the safari for land hunting is a POS.. im furious i have to waste my time and money and repackage this POS. i feel like suing kelly co.. it is the WORST machine you can use for ground detecting. Due to the machines inability to stablize with mineralization in play you have to SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE THE SENSITIVITY, thus nullifying the "great depth" this machine for 1000$ is suppose to give you... its a very good beach machine but simply is a 200 detector for land...i have to have the manual sensitivity down to 5 !!! to stop all the stupid random signals. i normally detect with threshold but had to shut it off today for the first time in my life because im tired of listening to the false targets. I spent 4 hrs today digging tough northeast holes with big rocks breaking my ass only to learn the targets were BS... i got it this week and im on the VERGE of suing kellyco.. im tired of this crap from them...

That's the first I heard of this. I have read a lot of reviews on the safari and haven't ran across this. Maybe it is defective. Because you are having problems don't make it a POS. Send it back and get something else. Let us know how the lawsuit works out.

If other detectors work ok it's definitely defective. If a restart won't do it, alks are still no better, and all connections are tight, it should go back to be checked out.

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your machine. >:(
My new Safari works great. I have been learning to use it along with a new Explorer SE. Both seem to ground balance and noise cancel well, and targets sound very consistent from the Safari to the Explorer. I am going to agree with others that it sounds like you got a bad unit. Have it checked out!
Good luck!

Wayupnorth66

Mar 26, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO

doubloonhunter said:

Hear are some pics of my ring finds with my safari..Ive only had my safari for about 8 weeks.the first second and last pic's are dry land ring finds in sod/grass. the second last pic is beach finds. it works for me..and im not very good at this...maybe you got a bad one.

Attachments

• 100_1572.JPG
    100_1572.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 871
  • 100_1672.JPG
    100_1672.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 100_1842.JPG
    100_1842.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 896
  • 100_1637.JPG
    100_1637.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 906
  • 100_1572.JPG
    100_1572.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 912
  • 100_1672.JPG
    100_1672.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 889
  • 100_1842.JPG
    100_1842.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 884
  • 100_1637.JPG
    100_1637.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 883

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get to hunt with my Safari near as much as I need to. I got mine, did some learning and then had some health problems that have sidelined me for awhile. I had problems with my Safari and did send it back to Minelab. after waithing six weeks I got it back saying nothing was wrong with it. Another person got his about the same time and loves his and has made many exceptional finds. Now that I am back to my Safari I am still having the same problems, too long and complicted to go into on this forum. Falsing, dozens and dozens of tones in just a few feet of moving so that it gets so confusing I finally give up and go to my 300 dollar machine and find stuff. Changing the sensitivity and resetting the machine has no effect. So mine is gathering dust. Up until now I have been optimistic, but even the most optimistic person has to know when to give up! I don't think sueing someone is going to get you anything but expense and a waste of time. The machine is a product of Minelab, not Kellyco. And there are too many people who have had satisfactory results with their Safaris. So, mine will sit in the closet and continue to gather dust. I would sell it, but I don't want to pass it along to someone else to worry with. So, I learned a thousand dollar+ lesson. I'll get over it. I might feel better if I toss it in the lake. but why bother? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions