Advice needed on Explorer 2 model.....

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be buying a used Explorer 2. Are these dependable? I'm guessing these are the older models. How old is the Explorer 2 versus the newer models like the E-TRAC? If I'm getting a great price, would you guys pick it up, or, would you get a newer model even though the price would be higher. Appreciate your help. Need to make a fast decision. Thanks!!!

P.S. - Guess what I really want to know is.....can the Explorer 2 hold it's own & can it get the deep depth we all want & need?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Xs which is the model before and I love it. Everyone says to get the pro coil and it will compete with the newer ones. I have'nt yet but the old XS is working pretty darn good. I would'nt be afraid to go for it.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
The Explorer II is my favorite in the series. I bought an early SE. It was easier to program but did not get the depth of my II and I hated the VCO pinpointing. May have had something to do with the Slimline coil it came with.

A lightly used II can be a great bargain for a detector.

Jeff

Cuerno

Jan 31, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a Explorer II when they first came out in April 2003 and kept it until three months after buying the E-Trac in Sept. 2008. If you can get a used E-Trac get it, it doesn't go any deeper than the Explorer II or find more coins, the E-Trac just locks on quicker and separates the different signals under the coil sharper. I keep reading from a few members here that the E-Trac has alot of adjustments and a long learning curve, well that is not true because my self and another two hunters that I hunt with we took them right out of the box with the factory setting and all of us found deep silver and copper coins. I remember back in Feb. 2000 when I got my very first Explorer XS (same as the Explorer II except for the dual digital screen), the adjustments were on going for many months and there were times I was ready to go back to my CZ-5 but my partner would find a deep coin now and then with his Exp. XS that the CZ-5 saw as deep iron. The Explorer II will do you fine once you have the right discrimination for your soil or you can run it wide open and swing it at a turtle walk. But what ever you decide you must get the Minelab Pro Coil eleven inch.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I love my explorerII. Don't know about the etrac though. You can pick up a explorer II for next to nothing these days. In my mind I couldn't justify the big price difference between my machine and the etrac. We have an 800.00 difference here, and there is no way anyone with an etrac is going to find 800.00 more stuff than me using my explorer ll. Just my 2 cents.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Explorer II is lovely, as most of the explorer series.
And yes it works just as well as any detector, in the right hands.
(Meaning your gonna have to stick with it for a while to get skilled using it, as with any detector) :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got my second explorer II today! (In addition) :thumbsup:

Two detectors, 4 coils, some fresh ideas with very old dirt... Things are good! :blob9:

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Ive had my ex2 for over 3 years and love it to death,they are very rugged Im very unkind to mine,use it in the rain the woods the mud seldom even wipe it off and have never had a problem. I highly suggest getting a Sunray x1 probe for it because it will go very deep and the pinpointing is soso.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread